Designs for fireplace mantels
Theodore Binner was born in Germany in 1860 and came to San Francisco in 1889. In 1892, his voter registration identified
him as a woodcarver. He married Sophie Mattfeldt in San Francisco in 1895. An architectural sculptor, the earliest reference
to his plaster decorations shop is 1898, at 116 Diamond Street; the shop moved to 423-425 14th Street about 1902. Destroyed
in the fire of 1906, the shop was rebuilt by 1914. Binner's son, Arthur, would eventually join him in the cast stone shop.
All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the City Archivist. Permission
for publication is given on behalf of the San Francisco Public Library as the owner of the physical items.
The collection is available for use during San Francisco History Center hours, with photographs available during Photo Desk
hours. Collections that are stored offsite should be requested 48 hours in advance.