Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Glen Park: Baldwin Plan for Parking map
Encapsulated Maps 1912  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (53.11 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Access
  • Publication Rights
  • Preferred Citation
  • Acquisition Information
  • Biography/Administrative History
  • Scope and Content of Collection
  • Indexing Terms

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Glen Park: Baldwin Plan for Parking map
    Dates: 1898, 1912
    Collection Number: Encapsulated Maps 1912
    Creator/Collector: Holcomb, Charles H., d. 1923
    Extent: 1 map: 21.5 x 31 inches
    Repository: San Francisco Public Library. San Francisco History Center
    San Francisco, California 94102
    Abstract: Printed map of Glen Park zoo and playground, with later annotations
    Language of Material: English


    The collection is available for use during San Francisco History Center hours.

    Publication Rights

    All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the City Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the San Francisco Public Library as the owner of the physical items.

    Preferred Citation

    Glen Park: Baldwin Plan for Parking map. San Francisco Public Library. San Francisco History Center

    Acquisition Information

    Gift, 2016-79

    Biography/Administrative History

    Glen Park was the proposed site for a Mission Park and Zoo in September 1898. At that time, the land was owned by the California Title Insurance and Trust Co. and by Glen Park Company. In August 1901, both properties were deeded to the Crocker Estate Company; the Glen Park parcel first deeded to A. S. Baldwin, and from Baldwin to the Crocker Estate Co. Baldwin & Howell were agents for the transaction. By February 1910, the Crocker Estate Co. was developing nearby areas, and homes had been built on the east slope of the hill, adjacent to the park.

    Scope and Content of Collection

    Printed map, lithograph printed in black with two colors, dated Sept. 1898, by Chas. H. Holcomb, C.E., scale 1 inch equals 120 feet. Map area is bounded by Thirtieth Street on the north, Diamond Street on the east, what is now Mangels Avenue on the south, and what is now roughly Congo Street on the west. Map shows portion of Islais Creek and other water features; paths and avenues transversing zoological gardens and children’s playground; structures, including Morro Castle and Park Lodge. Map shows boundaries of properties owned by California Title Insurance and Trust Co. and by Glen Park Company. Tables include Summary of area, street frontage, improvements, etc. of both companies’ properties. Notations in blue pencil: “Glen Park. On Tract 50 fam. Provide for 200 fam. 300 lots sold. Baldwin Plan for Parking 1-3-12.” Lead pencil notations are figures for water consumption and tank capacities.

    Indexing Terms

    Zoos—California—San Francisco—Planning—19th century.
    Amusement parks—California—San Francisco.
    Streets—California—San Francisco—Planning.
    Real estate development—California—San Francisco.
    California Title Insurance and Trust Company (San Francisco, Calif.)
    Baldwin & Howell (San Francisco, Calif.)
    Glen Park Company (San Francisco, Calif.)
    San Francisco (Calif.)—Maps.
    Glen Park (San Francisco, Calif.)—Maps.