The records of the San Mateo County Resource Conservation District span the history of the organization and include administrative
and financial files, meeting minutes, reports, maps, and other material.
The San Mateo County Resource Conservation District (formerly known as the San Mateo County Soil Conservation District) is
a non-regulatory public benefit district to help protect, conserve, and restore natural resources through information, education,
and technical assistance programs. The district provides policy direction, information about local agriculture, and rental
of specialized equipment, collaborating with private and public land owners, land managers, public agencies, interest groups,
and others. The district was first formed in 1939 as the first conservation district in California and one of the first in
the nation. Although it began much smaller in size, the district today covers 245 square miles, including portions of Daly
City, Colma, South San Francisco, Pacifica, San Bruno, Montara, Moss Beach, and Half Moon Bay, plus areas of unincorporated
San Mateo County and all San Mateo County watersheds that drain into the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary.
While Special Collections is the owner of the physical and digital items, permission to examine collection materials is not
an authorization to publish. These materials are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study. Any transmission
or reproduction beyond that allowed by fair use requires permission from the owners of rights, heir(s) or assigns.
Open for research. Note that material must be requested at least 36 hours in advance of intended use. Audiovisual materials
are not available in original format, and must be reformatted to a digital use copy.