Records of the Boys and Girls Aid Society of San Francisco, including case books and case files, other inmate data, Research
Department files, administrative files, and financial records dating mostly from 1882 until 1929.
The Boys and Girls Aid Society was organized in 1874. From 1886 until its dissolution around 1930, it was located in San Francisco
at 460 Baker Street (at the corner of Grove). This non-profit organization was founded, at least in part, in response to disillusionment
with an approach to juvenile justice and delinquency prevention that led to the imprisonment of youths in California's prisons
and jails. By the 1860s, public pressure emerged to separate juveniles from adult offenders. This led initially to the establishment
of the San Francisco Industrial School in 1858 and the State Reform School (located in Marysville) in 1861. These institutions
struggled, however, to provide the necessary institutional care for all who required it. In response to the need for more
institutions to take on this work, organizations like the Boys and Girls Aid Society were established.
60 linear feet
(34 cartons, 35 oversize boxes, 22 volumes, 2 boxes)
Some materials in these collections may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). In addition, the reproduction
of some materials may be restricted by terms of University of California gift or purchase agreements, donor restrictions,
privacy and publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond
that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be
commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
For additional information about the University of California, Berkeley Library's permissions policy please see: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/about/permissions-policies
The collection is open for research.