The Helen Matthewson Club was a living cooperative for UCLA university women, established in 1923 by Dean of Women Helen Matthewson
Laughlin. This record series contains the administrative files of the club; event programs and publications, including drafts,
research materials, and the final version of an official history of the club, written by its members; scrapbooks and photographs;
and audio recordings of Dean Helen Matthewson Laughlin.
Helen Matthewson Laughlin (1881-1960) served as the Los Angeles State Normal School Dean of Women (1911-1919) and the UCLA
Dean of Women (1919-1946). The Helen Matthewson Club (HMC) was established in the fall of 1923 by Dean of Women Helen Matthewson
Laughlin as a living cooperative where self-supporting University women could enjoy the companionship of others, obtain adequate
housing at a fair price, and serve the school and community. The HMC was initially located at Oakwood House near the Vermont
Avenue campus of the University of California Southern Branch (UCLA). With the Fall 1929 opening of UCLA's Westwood campus,
the HMC relocated to a new home at 900 Hilgard Ave.
4.8 Linear Feet
(10 boxes, 2 flat boxes)
Copyright to portions of this collection has been assigned to the UCLA Library Special Collections. The library can grant
permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. Commercial use may require additional rights that must
be determined and obtained by the researcher. All requests for copyright permission to publish must be submitted in writing
to Library Special Collections. Credit shall be given as follows: The Regents of the University of California on behalf of
the UCLA Library Special Collections.
Open for research. All requests to access special collections materials must be made in advance using the request button located
on this page.