The Canfield and Starbuck Law Firm Papers contain a selection of client legal documents from the late 19th to early 20th century
for the central California coastal region.
Robert B. Canfield, a New Jersey native, came to Santa Barbara in 1876 and is known for establishing the first gas mains under
parts of State Street and developing the first gas lighting system in the city. Mr. Canfield was also an attorney, organized
the first local Bar Association, served as a City Judge, was president of the Mission Water Company, and was president of
First National Bank for 23 years, from 1895 to 1918. He married Miss Davidson in 1873. Henry Pease Starbuck was a prominent
attorney in Santa Barbara. In 1904 he became a partner of the Canfield and Starbuck law firm located in the Howard-Canfield
building on the corner of State and East Canon Perdido Streets. In 1907, Starbuck became the first property owner in Junipero
Place (now Junipero Plaza) when he purchased the lot from Edward F.R. Vail where this voluminous Craftsman house is located.
6 Linear Feet (6 record storage boxes)
Property rights reside with the Santa Barbara Historical Museum. For permissions to reproduce or to publish, please contact
the Head Archivist of the Gledhill Library.
Collection is open for research.