The architectural drawings by Mario
Asprucci, his father Antonio Asprucci, and their associates, dating from 1786 to the early
1800s, document the buildings and gardens of the Villa Borghese in Rome that were
commissioned by Prince Marcantonio IV Borghese as well as other Borghese commissions. They
reveal the importance of Mario Asprucci's contributions and include designs he made for the
Temple of Aesculapius and the unrealized Museo Gabino.
The Villa Borghese on the Pincian Hill in Rome was commissioned in the early seventeenth
century by Cardinal Scipione Borghese (1576-1633) who was a nephew of Pope Paul V
(1552-1621) and whose numerous positions within the Roman Church enabled him to become an
influential collector and art patron. The Villa's Casino Nobile (now home to the Galleria
Borghese) was conceived to house his collection of antique statuary, which featured the
Borghese Gladiator, the Sleeping
Hermaphroditus, and the Centaur with Cupid, now at
the Louvre. In the following century, Prince Marcantonio IV (1730-1800) took up the Borghese
tradition of art patronage, expanding the collection and undertaking the renovation of the
Villa's architecture and gardens. Antonio Asprucci (1723-1808) was the architect who
directed this ambitious project of modernization.
(12 linear feet)
Contact Library Reproductions
Open for use by qualified researchers.