The Theosophical Society was founded in 1875, in New York City, by Helena Petrovna Blavatsky, Henry Steel Olcott, and William
Quan Judge. In 1895 a split occurred in the movement, with two competing theological societies emerging in America, one under
the leadership of William Judge. When Judge died in 1896, he was succeeded by Katherine Tingley, who established an educational
center at Point Loma in San Diego. Point Loma then became the location of the International Headquarters of the Theosophical
Society. In 1942 the International Headquarters of the Theosophical Society was moved to Covina, California. In 1950/51 it
moved to its present location in Pasadena, California where it is now known as the Theosophical Society (Pasadena).
This is an artificial collection consisting of books, periodicals, photographs, and tapes. The collection was donated to the
library via Anna Tatar, former Director of the San Diego Public Library system.