Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Frank Livingston Hoyt Collection
MS31  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (53.91 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
The Frank Livingston Hoyt Collection includes speeches and documents related to Hoyt's tenure on the San Joaquin County Board of Supervisors and the County's Advisory Water Commission. One noteworthy segment deals with planning for California's Peripheral Canal during the 1960s and 1979s. Also included are materials related to California county governance during the 1960s and the 1965 San Joaquin County Grand Jury Report.
Background
Frank Livingston Hoyt (1898-1986) was born in Norton, Kansas, and raised in Clay Center, Nebraska. He served in France as master sergeant with the U.S. Army during the First World War and returned to Nebraska afterward. During the Great Depression, he held various jobs in Nebraska and Wyoming, and in 1935 moved to San Joaquin County to manage the Holly Sugar Company's farming operations in Tracy. Nine years later, he became vice-president and general manager of Berverdor, Incorporated, an agricultural and business equipment rental firm, also located in Tracy, from which he retired in 1960. In that same year, Hoyt's political career started with his election to represent San Joaquin County's Fifth Supervisorial District, a seat he retained until 1972. Other service of Hoyt's included membership on the San Joaquin County's Planning Commission, the presidency of the California Asparagus Grower's Association, the directorship of the Tracy Chamber of Commerce, and membership on the board of directors for the Tracy Community Memorial Hospital. Hoyt and his wife, Edna Mae Sullivan Hoyt (1903-1970), had one son and one daughter.
Extent
2.2 linear feet
Restrictions
The library can only claim physical ownership of the collection. Users are responsible for satisfying any claimants of literary property.
Availability
Collection is open for research by appointment.