Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Guide to the Sacramento Cyclettes Club records
MS0052  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (64.40 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
Sacramento Cyclettes Club records consists of administrative records including meeting minutes, roll call/attendance books, activity books, legal advisor's notebook, financial records, treasurer's books, dues books, rental books, Penny Fund, scrapbooks, and photographs. Records detail the activities of the Sacramento Cyclettes Club from 1937-1984.
Background
The Sacramento Cyclettes Club (1937-1987) was one of the first women motorcycle clubs in the United States. The Club held its first organized meeting on August 25, 1937 and was incorporated on August 23, 1938 (articles of incorporation file #4266) . The club was organized to "promote, foster, and encourage the sport of motorcycling and friendly competitive rivalry among its members through a common interest in the ownership and operation of motorcycles; in general, to promote social, education and recreational activities among its members in connection with the ownership and operation of motorcycles," the Sacramento Cyclettes Club was active for fifty years. Founding members of the club included: Sybil Johnston, Gladys Murray, Harriet Wilson, Ethel Lewis, Marie Hesse, Bernadette Freitas, Kay Dias, Mabel Fulgham, Jeanne Johnson, Irene Kaminsky, Marion Erickson, Rayma Trimble, Madeleine Godfrey, Mary Marainti-Lattin, Josie Van Guelder, and Lillian Catlett. In 1939, the Club built a clubhouse at 2319 Riverside Boulevard, where members held social events, potlucks, dances, fundraisers, and played sports. The Club attended motorcycle competitions across the State of California including the Pacific Coast Championship Tourist Trophy Race sponsored by the Capitol City Motorcycle Club. Their clubhouse suffered fire damage in October 1952 and, in 1964, the building was moved to 2770 Fruitridge Boulevard to make way for the freeway.
Extent
7 linear feet (7 boxes)
Restrictions
All requests to publish or quote from private collections held by the Center for Sacramento History (CSH) must be submitted in writing to csh@cityofsacramento.org. Permission for publication is given on behalf of CSH as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the patron. No permission is necessary to publish or quote from public records.
Availability
Collection is open for research use.