Records of the San Jose Day Nursery, including history of the organization, scrapbooks and photo albums, financial records,
membership lists, roll books, employee attendance records, and Board of Directors minutes.
The San Jose Day Nursery was organized in June, 1916, by a small group of women to meet the daycare needs of working mothers.
The charter directors were Mrs. C. R. Dodge, Mrs. Josephine Rogers, Mrs. A. T. Herrmann, Miss Alice Meyers, Miss Agnes Howe,
Mrs. F. G. Rupert, Mrs. W. G. Alexander, Mrs. Nellie Thompson, Miss Sarah J. Chapman, Mrs. E. A. Franzen, Mrs. Della Gallahorn,
Mrs. Laura Bacon Bailey, Mrs. Mildred Eddy, Mrs. E. K. Johnson, Mrs. Lucy McClintic, Miss Emma Wiesendanger, Mrs. William
E. Keith, Mrs. M. W. Kapp, Mrs. Osgood and Mrs. James Beatty. The nursery originally occupied a vacant kindergarten building
on North Second Street loaned by the City Board of Education, but eventually moved to 32 North Seventh Street in 1923, and
expanded next door in 1926 to North Eighth Street. Groundbreaking for the current building at 33 North Eighth Street, designed
by George Kocher, was held in May 1936.