The Lawrence G. Desmond Collection on Bernard Hubbard, S.J., c. 1900-2008 (bulk 1923-1987), documents Lawrence Desmond's attempts
at writing a biography of his mentor, Fr. Bernard Hubbard. The bulk of the collection consists of conversations between Desmond
and archivists, or any others with information about Fr. Hubbard that could assist him with his project. In particular, the
collection includes correspondence from the Lang family, who personally knew Hubbard as a family friend and kept in touch
with him during his life. One folder contains details about Hubbard and Desmond's search for giant salamanders in the Trinity
Alps region. The records also consist of photographs and original correspondence of both Hubbard and Desmond, large and small
prints of photos taken by Hubbard during his adventures, Desmond's notebook used during his research, several maps, and newspaper
and magazine articles that were relevant to Desmond's studies. This collection is arranged into two series: Series I. Lawrence
Desmond's Research, circa 1956-2008 (bulk 1985-1987); and Series II. Desmond's Collected Bernard Hubbard Materials, circa
1900-1957 (bulk 1923-1930).
Santa Clara University was founded in 1851 by the Society of Jesus as Santa Clara College and is California's oldest operating
institution of higher learning. It was established on the grounds of Mission Santa Clara de Asìs, the eighth of the original
21 California missions. The college originally operated as a preparatory school and did not offer courses of collegiate rank
until 1853. The institution became known as the University of Santa Clara in 1912, when the schools of engineering and law
were added. For 110 years, Santa Clara University was an all-male school. In 1961, women were accepted as undergraduates and
Santa Clara University became the first coeducational Catholic university in California. The number of students and faculty
tripled over the next decade and the university began the largest building program in school history with eight residence
halls, a student union, and an athletic stadium. In the early 1970s, the Board of Trustees voted to limit the size of the
undergraduate population, an action that was intended to preserve the character and ensure the quality of the university for
generations to come. In 1985, the university adopted Santa Clara University as its official name. Bibliography: Santa Clara University. "About SCU – History." www.scu.edu/about/history.cfm (Accessed Nov. 23, 2010) McKevitt, Gerald, S.J.
The University of Santa Clara: A History, 1851-1977. Stanford, California: Stanford University Press, 1979.
4.08 linear feet
(2 half-size document boxes, 2 oversize flat boxes)
Materials in Archives & Special Collections may be subject to copyright. All requests for permission to publish from manuscripts
must be submitted in writing to the University Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Archives & Special
Collections as the owner of the physical materials, and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder,
which must also be obtained. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital reproductions of the original materials.
The collection is open for research. There are no restrictions.