The Landes Manufacturing Co., established in 1953, was known for its for experimental outdoor furniture designs and technical
innovations. The collection consists of five portfolios containing black and white and color images documenting furniture
designs produced by the Landes Manufacturing Co.
The Landes Manufacturing Co. was founded in 1953, in Gardena, California by Harvey Leipzig, Fred Sabl, and Martin R. Liebhold.
Within a short time, Liebhold became the sole owner of Landes and oversaw the company until it was divided into the textiles
department and the metal furniture division. Among the Landes designers were Jerry Johnson, Byron H. Botker, Paul Tuttle,
and Heinz Meier. The company aspired to produce well-designed, high-styled, practical, and comfortable furniture at reasonable
prices, and was known for its for experimental designs, technical innovations, and use of new materials. Design innovations
included the use of canvas slings in seating pieces to replace drawers, springs and strapping; over-stuffed cushions filled
with shredded foam; knock-down fabric drawers that could be shipped flat in boxes and assembled by the buyer; and a design
line of weatherproof outdoor furniture made from PVC. The company was sold in 1986.
2 Linear Feet
(5 flat boxes)
Property rights to the physical object belong to the UCLA Library Special Collections. Literary rights, including copyright,
are retained by the creators and their heirs. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine who holds the copyright
and pursue the copyright owner or his or her heir for permission to publish where The UC Regents do not hold the copyright.
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. All requests to access special collections materials must be made in
advance through our electronic paging system using the "Request items" button.