The Order of The King’s Daughters was organized by ten women in New York City on January 13, 1886 with the purpose of ministering
to the suffering in the world in the name of Jesus Christ. At the First Biennial Convention, held in Louisville, Kentucky
May 10-14, 1912, delegates from twenty-four states (including one from California) and Canada were recorded. The San Diego
branch was organized in 1889, calling themselves the Willing Helpers Circle of King’s Daughters. It began providing warm lunches
for working girls downtown, which developed into a room and boarding club for single women. Other works of The King’s Daughters
in southern California included a Day Nursery for children of working mothers and a Home for the Aged.