Wawona (schooner) restoration project report (SAFR 20610, HDC 1271) was funded by the Maritime Heritage Preservation Program
at the Northwest Seaport, Inc. Kirkland, Washington 1975-1984. Documentation include illustrations, correspondence, grants
processing control sheets, service reports and Xerox copies of photographs. The collection is available for research use without
WAWONA was built in the Bendixsen yard at Fairhaven, California in 1897 for the Dolbeer & Carson Luber Company of Eureka,
California. She was entirely constructed of Douglas Fur and the largest three-masted schooner ever built on the West coast.
The WAWONA hauled lumber from 1897 to 1914; beginning in 1914 she entered the Bearing Sea as a cod-fishing vessel. During
World War II she was chartered by the U.S. Army and dismasted to serve as a barge in Puget Sound. Following the war she was
remasted and returned to the Alaska cod fisheries. She was retired from fishing in 1947. She was purchased by the Northwest
Seaport in 1964. WAWONA is the first vessel to be recognized on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970. In 1985,
the National Park Service, working with the National Trust for Historic Preservation and the Northwest Seaport recorded her
lines. She was berthed at South Lake Union Park in Seattle adjacent to the Center for Wooden Boats until 2009 when she was
dismantled. Wawona was the
sister ship to San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park's lumber schooner, the C.A. Thayer.
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the researcher's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other
case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
This collection is open for use unless otherwise noted.