The Descriptive Finding Guide for the Frank J. Sarris Personal Papers SDASM.SC.10124
San Diego Air and Space Museum Library and Archives
2001 Pan American Plaza, Balboa Park
San Diego 92101
Language of Material:
San Diego Air and Space Museum Library and Archives
Title: Frank J. Sarris Personal Papers
Identifier/Call Number: SDASM.SC.10124
.75 Cubic Feet
Two boxes of naval documents, newspapers, navigation notebook; photographs, logbooks, and air navigation charts mostly from
the 1940s to the 1960s.
The collection contains one 12.25”x10.25”x5” box and one 18.5”x13.5”x3”
Date (bulk): bulk
Abstract: Frank Sarris served as a pilot in the United States Navy during both WWII (Pacific) and the Korean Conflict. He retired as
a U.S. Navy LCDR in 1964, after spending 25 years in the service.
Biographical / Historical
Frank John Sarris was born on December 8, 1917 in New Port, Rhode Island. He married Carmella Virgadamo and had three daughters.
Sarris served as a pilot in the United States Navy during both WWII (Pacific) and the Korean Conflict. He retired as a U.S.
Navy LCDR in 1964, after spending 25 years in the service. Carmella passed on May 21, 1993, leaving behind Frank, their three
daughters, and eight grandchildren. Four years later, on January 26, 1997, Frank passed at the age of 79.
He was buried at Glen Abbey Memorial Park in Bonita, California on January 29, 1997 with full military honors.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open to researchers by appointment.
Scope and Contents
The collection contains one 12.25”x10.25”x5” box and one 18.5”x13.5”x3” box of naval documents, newspapers, navigation notebook;
photographs, logbooks, and air navigation charts mostly from the 1940s to the 1960s.
The two logbooks identified as LB 291 A and LB 291 B will be placed in the logbook collection in box LB 291 A-B.
Lockheed Constellation aircraft files.
Subjects and Indexing Terms
United States Navy
Lockheed R7V-1 Super Constellation
Folder 1 – Personal Papers
Physical Description: 1. Copy of L.T. Frank J. Sarris Gets Flying Cross article with unknown author and date.
2. Illustrations for Aviation Parachute Riggers1/C by Frank J. Sarris.
3. Stickers and decals for Lockheed Radar Constellation, Air Transron Eight, McDonnel Phantom II, and one unlabeled.
4. Decals for the VR-3 and Silver Eagles with a VIP seating card for the Blue Angels.
5. Papers from the National Museum of Naval Aviation.
Folder 2 – Magazines and Catalogues
Physical Description: 1. All Hands: The Bureau of Naval Personnel Information Bulletin from July 1st, 1946.
2. “Captain’s Dinner” menu on October 18, 1955.
3. Lockheed Field Service Digest, Vol.1, No. 6 for May-June 1955.
4. 32’s News: U.S.S. Leyte Cruise Edition from the Leyte’s second Mediterranean cruise.
5. Blue Angels Homecoming 93 Air Show Program from November 12th and 13th of 1993.
6. Informational pamphlet about the McDonnell FH4 Phantom II.
Folder 3 – Documents from the U.S. Navy
Physical Description: 1. Military Air Transport Service Flight Plan navigated by Frank Sarris on October 23, 1951 (signed in pencil).
2. Diagram of R7V-1 Super Constellation.
3. Blank Report of Enlisted Performance Evaluation.
4. Command from Arleigh Burke about increasing personnel strength.
5. Letter and photos about Air Transport Squadron SEVEN R7V-1 painting specifications to the Bureau of Aeronautics Representative
from H.N. Murphy.
6. Flight Handbook: Navy Model F9F-8T Aircraft published by direction of the Chief of the Bureau of Naval Weapons, September
7. Bupers Instruction 1800.1A from the Chief of Naval Personnel to all ships and stations regarding “temporary officers in
the grades of ensign and above who twice fail of selection”, January 19, 1960.
8. Directory: Naval and Marine Corps Officers on Duty Ventura-Santa Barbara Counties Area, October 1961.
9. Social Roster: Air Development Squadron Four, May, 1962.
10. Officer Distribution Control Report, June 30, 1963.
11. Directory: Naval and Marine Corps Officers on Duty Ventura-Santa Barbara Counties Area, April, 1963.
12. Navy MATS VRS Reunion Directory, 1996.
Folder 4 – Digitized Photos, Sarris_0001 thru 0025
Folder 5 – Miscellaneous Photos
Physical Description: Folder contains 26 photos and 4 postcards, pertaining mostly to aircraft in the Naval Air Transport Service.
Folder 6 – Miscellaneous Photos
Physical Description: Folder contains 32 photos, mostly pertaining to Sarris in uniform, his crash of Bu#58269 (30 MAR 1945), and suited up in parachute
Folder 7 – Miscellaneous Photos
Physical Description: Folder contains 18 photos of group shots of mostly graduating classes and a few squadrons from the 1940s; a “parachuter’s
creed;” and three manual pages featuring photos of the “Proper Method of Attaching Q.A.C. Parachutes.” Sarris is featured
as a model.
Folder 8 - Duplicate Photos
Folder 9 - Handbook
Physical Description: 1. Pratt & Whitney Aircraft Aeronautical Vest-Pocket Handbook.
VR-7 Flight Squadron Training Manual with notes in pencil and ink.
Series IV: Navigation
Physical Description: 2. Frank Sarris’ instruction notebook on navigation filled out with ink and pencil.
3. AAF special air navigation chart from Bermuda to Azores with marks in pencil.
4. Partial AAF special air navigation chart from Bermuda to Azores with marks in pencil.
5. Boston (UV-10) Sectional Aeronautical Chart, December 26, 1945.
6. AAF Aeronautical Chart for Peloponnesus Peninsula, Greece, January 1946.
7. Air/Surface Loran Navigation Chart No. VL 30-23, 3rd Edition, July 1949.
8. City Map of Central Tokyo, August 1952.
9. Air/Surface Loran Navigation Chart No. VL 30-13, 2nd Edition, January 1953.
10. Local Aeronautical Chart for Honolulu, January 24, 1953.
11. La Jolla Quadrangle Geological Survey topographic map, 1953.
12. Air/Surface Loran Navigation Chart No. VL 30-3, 1st Edition, September, 1954.
13. Air/Surface Loran Navigation Chart No. VL 30-4, 4th Edition, September 1954.
14. Route chart from New York to Kansas City (RC 2213), November 5, 1954.
15. Route chart from New York to Brownsville (RC 2217), March 15, 1955.
16. Jet navigation chart for the United States Northeast (JN-30) April, 1956.
17. Air/Surface Loran Navigation Chart No. VL 30-22, 9th Edition, February 1957.
18. Air/Surface Loran Navigation Chart No. VL 30-12, 6th Edition, May 1958.
Series V: Newspapers
Physical Description: 1. Pensacola News Journal celebrating 75 years of naval aviation, May 4, 1986 (split into three separate sections)
Series VI: Logbooks
Physical Description: 1. Brown Aviators Flight Log Book; LB 291 A.
2. Black Pilot Flight Record and Log Book; LB 291 B.