Bodega Bay was discovered by Lt. Francisco de la Bodéga y Cuadro. The Russian American Company laid claim to part of the land
around Bodega Bay, and Ivan Kuskov founded Romanzov, a settlement that grew wheat and hunted sea otter. In 1835, Mariano Guadalupe
Vallejo gave American sailors on the border of the Russian land in order to curtail Russian expansion. In 1841, the Russian
land was sold to John A. Sutter, and Governor Micheltorena granted thousands of acres of Bodega land, including some of the
former Russian land, to Stephen Smith. Smith created the Rancho Bodega.