Alonzo E. Horton was a founder and builder of New Town, San Diego beginning in the late 1860s. He purchased 960 acres of
land on the San Diego Bay, later known as "Horton's Addition." At first, there was much opposition from the residents of
"Old Town"; but, new businesses began to flood into the new tract on the harbor, because that is where the ships arrived from
the East"New Town" soon became the center of town. Horton was even more successful when local land prices soared in the 1880s.
He was the most instrumental man in the development of commerce in San Diego and in the further expansion of the growing city.
Horton House hotel and Horton Plaza were major landmarks in town.
The A.E. Horton Document Archives include five documents from the City's public records, including his lease of one of his
buildings to the City for use as City Hall and an indenture for the sale of land to the City for use as a public park.
Public records; City Clerk records. Mt. Hope box with black & white large photographs and small colored photos of Horton
Memorial gravesite and work in progress title page featuring it as the Mt. Hope Cemetery logo/graphic. Box 35, 29,112, 19,
38, 48, 104, 230, 23 and 28 (archives boxes), Box 14168 (cancelled City Trustees to U. S. Bond 1877 regarding transferring
arms to City, signed by Horton, et al.), Box 16233 (first signature on Feb. 10, 1893 petition to build a wooden bridge across
the ravine at India St.), Box 13253 (1877 Western Union Telegraphs from Horton in Washington, D. C. re railroad), Box 15764
(signed 1886 petitions for Old Town Bridge), Box 9589 (petition to grade B street granted by Street Committee/ Horton 1893),
Box 12824 (now an archives box) (signed petitions re City water supply and Water Company), Box 23690 (City Water Lease signed