The Malibu Tiles Collection contains tiles from Malibu Potteries, a historic Malibu ceramic company which operated in the
early 20th century. Malibu Potteries, owned by May Knight Rindge, produced tiles and ceramic pieces heavily inspired by Moorish,
Mayan, Spanish, and Saracen cultures, featuring Art Deco influences. Despite their brief production run, they played an influential
role in local architecture, and can still be viewed in various public locations throughout Malibu and greater Los Angeles.
This collection contains a portion of the original tiles produced.
Known as "The Queen of Malibu," May Knight Rindge - the last owner of Rancho Malibu - opened Malibu Potteries in 1926 after
discovering rich deposits of red clay on her property. This discovery coincided with a burgeoning demand for decorative tiles
fueled by the 1920s Los Angeles housing boom and the popularity of both Art Deco and Spanish Revival architecture. Rindge
hired Rufus Keeler, a local ceramic engineer, to construct and operate the plant, and to formulate the proprietary glazes
used on the tiles. After suffering catastrophic damage from a 1931 fire, the factory briefly resumed production on a limited
basis, but was permanently closed in 1932 due to the economic pressures of the Great Depression.
2.4 Linear Feet
Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the repository and the copyright holder.
Advance notice required for access.