Collection of Edwin Markham Poetry Society records, print material, clippings, and original correspondence and manuscripts
primarily related to Edwin Markham and Henry Meade Bland. Some of these items were on display at the Hoe Room in the Edwin
Markham House before the house was moved to San Jose's History Park.
The Edwin Markham Poetry Society was founded circa 1930 to encourage interest in poetry and kindred literature and arts, to
sponsor an annual poetry contest, and to preserve the contents of the Hoe Room at the Edwin Markham House (formerly located
at 832 South Eight Street in San Jose, now located at History Park). The organization's goals were to study poetic literature
and allied subjects, to further the work of members and to provide a visitor reception center in the Edwin Markham house.
It was disbanded circa 1990. The Edwin Markham House was moved from the San Jose State University grounds to History Park
in 1987 and subsequently renovated and restored. The Poetry Society collection was acquired as part of these efforts in order
to create a museum exhibit in the house at History Park.
Publications are covered under copyright and may not be reproduced. Contact the Curator of Library & Archives for information
on publication and reproduction of non-copyrighted items.
The collection is available to the public for research by appointment with the Curator of Library & Archives.