The People's Lumber Company was a lumber and construction supply company established in Ventura in 1890. The company was the
main supplier of lumber and construction supplies until it reoriented its business to focus on real estate investments in
the 1960s. This collection contains the records of the People's Lumber Company in its various forms through the establishment
of the Real Estate Investment Trust of California. This includes by-laws, correspondence, meeting minutes, stock certificates,
and home plan sample books.
The People's Lumber Company was incorporated in Ventura on September 30, 1890. The original board and principal shareholders
were C.D. Bonestel (Ventura), F.A. Foster (Ventura), J.M. Sharp (Saticoy), J.B. Robins (Springville), G.W. Faulkner (Santa
Paula), J.A. Willouby (Ventura), and F.A. Cook (Ventura). The company started business as a lumber cooperative. Prior to its
establishment boats would have to anchor as close to shore as possible to unload lumber onto a raft. Following the construction
of a wharf at Hueneme in 1871 and a wharf at Ventura in 1873, The Daly Bros. purchased a lumber boat to convey materials from
mills in Northern California.
4.5 Cubic Feet
Property rights to the physical object belong to the Museum of Ventura County. Literary rights, including copyright, have
not been determined. Contact the Research Library for further information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE: Open for research. All requests to access materials must be made in advance by contacting the
Research Library staff.