Jump to Content
What is OAC?
> UC Berkeley
> Bancroft Library
The Mission Era: California Under Spain and Mexico and Reminiscences, ca. 1850-1878
BANC PIC 19xx.039--ALB
Online items available
Contact UC Berkeley::Bancroft Library
View entire collection guide
Search this collection
Entire Collection Guide
Table of contents
1 - 20 of 51 results
Indian hovels at the palm group of Lower San Diego Valley. (The old Mission just visible in the distance.) Canoes return from fishing. Excursion of 1874. Date: May 8, 1874 Size: 14.6 x 21.9 cm
Point Cypress. The promontory S.W. of Monterey, and N.W. of Carmelo Bay with the old mission ruins. These straggling cypresses, weird and lonesome, may fitly be called the weeping-willows of California's departed Patriarchal Era!!! (cf. Vischer Pictorial p.74) Date: Oct. 1867 Size: 17.6 x 25.7 cm.
S.E. view of the church-ruin, walls and orchard grounds of San Diego. The first-founded Franciscan mission in Upper California. (1769)(cf. Vischer Missions no. 15). Date: April 20, 1874 Size: 16 x 23 cm.
Ruins of the old Mission of San Carlos, at the mouth of the River Carmelo. (Founded Ao. 1770.)(cf. Vischer Pictorial p. 1, Vischer Missions, no. 1). Date: 1861 Size: 14.6 x 22.5 cm.
Ruins of the church and buildings of San Carlos Rey. (Mision del Carmelo near Monterey.) Founded 1769. Date: 1861 Size: 17.9 x 26.3 cm.
Rear-view of the ruins of the Mission of San Carlos, from the sea-side. Date: October 1867 Size: 12.8 x 19.1 cm.
Church, buildings and ruins of the Mission of San Antonio de Padua, in Monterey County. Franciscan Father Doroteo Ambriz, an Acolite [sic] of the order, born in Mexico, ordained in California. (cf.Vischer Missions no. 6). Date: June 26, 1873 Size: 11.2 x 18.7 cm.
West view of the old orchards, and the church of the ex-mission of San Gabriel. (No traces left of the mission buildings.) Reminiscenses [sic] of our first visit at San Gabriel, 1842. 1771 founded. (cf. Vischer Missions no. 13). Date: 1865 Size: 12.1 x 19.2 cm.
Ex-Mission (now Parish-Church) of San Gabriel, after Hahn's celebrated picture in the possession of M. Sherwood. Original by C. Hahn. In appreciation of the merits of the original, and in friendly remembrance of its genial author, with his permission reproduced by E. Vischer, 1878. Sunday-gatherings after Mass. Date: 1878 Size: 15.3 x 21.8 cm.
San Luis Obispo, the lower (older) portion of the town and the old mission buildings, as seen from the mission orchard. (cf. Vischer Pictorial p. 108, Vischer Missions no. 8). Date: 1864 Size: 16 x 24.9 cm.
The western part of the town, and the Mission of San Luis Obispo; 1864, approach from the landing. Supplementary drawings of 1873. Date: 1864 (1873) Size: 11.8 x 18.3 cm.
Outskirts of the town San Luis Obispo. Barrio del Tigre (Tiger-town). (Haunts of the native and Indian population in the old mission outbuildings.) Date: 1865 Size: 17.5 x 23.5 cm.
A reminiscense [sic] of 1842: Bullfight, (after high mass) at the Mission Dolores. In celebration of the Patron Saint San Francisco de Asis. (cf. Vischer Missions no. 2). Date: 1876 Size: 14.2 x 20.9 cm.
View of the ruins of the church, and buildings of the Ex-Mission of San Juan Capistrano. The church destroyed by the earthquake of 1812. (cf. Vischer Pictorial no. 37, Vischer Missions no. 14). Date: May 9, 1865 Size: 16.3 x 25.3 cm.
Rear view of the earthquake-ruins of San Juan Capistrano, With secion of aqueduct. Additional drawings of 1876. In memory of R. Fray Jose Maria de Zaldivea; our leave-taking in Nov. 1842. (Founded Ao. 1776.) (Church destroyed 1812.) Date: 1876 Size: 14.3 x 20.9 cm.
Ex-Mission and church of Santa Clara, the site of the present Jesuit College. From an old photograph aided by personal recollection 1842. "After-Mass" Holiday-gathering of rancheros, and the family-oxcart (cf. Vischer Missions no. 3). Date: n.d. Size: 16 x 23.1 cm.
The Franciscan old mission church at San Buena Ventura, now the parish-church of the Catholics. Date: n.d. Size: 16.1 x 22.2 cm.
South view of the town, with the church and mission-buildings of San Buena Ventura. A cavalcade of the Good Olden Times. F.G. Becher and Alfred Robinson, on a trip northward, with vaqueros and remonta from the Missn. of San Gabriel. Mission San Buenaventura founded in 1782. (cf. Vischer Pictorial no. 110; Vischer Missions no. 11) Date: May 1865 Size: 17.2 x 24.9 cm.
Church and contiguous buildings of the Ex-Mission of Santa Barbara. Now a college of the Order of San Francisco. Autograph Fr. Jose Ma. de Jesus Gonzalez Rubio [rubric]. Santa Barbara (1842 & 1865). While engaged in tracing the first outlines of this interesting structure, Sunday, May 7th, 1865, Mass just over, we obtained, through favor, the autograph of Father Gonzalez, the worthy President of the College, sollicited [sic] and kindly granted, as a memento of this, our second visit, after an interval of twinty-three years! To preserve in the proper place so welcome a present, we committed the pardonable indescretion of finishing up our drawing on the very paper containing the autograph, as a means to gratify those of our friends who like ourselves, from personal acquaintance with Father Gonzalez, the last survivor of the missionaries, appreciate his excellent qualities. Thus we secured what will become a relic of one whose name, blessed during lifetime by the many hearts he comforted, will after his death stand as the last pillar of the missionary work in California so honorably preceded by Fathers Junipero Serra, Geronimo Boscana, Sanchez, Peiri, Salvidea, Duran, and other distinguished ornaments of the order of San Frnacisco. (Reference to text of the California Collection. E.V.) (cf. Vischer Pictorial p. 106, Vischer Missions no. 20) Date: 1842/1865 Size: 16.8 x 25.3 cm.
South-east view of Santa Barbara convent. (cf. Vischer Pictorial p. 25, Vischer Missions no. 10). Date: May 6, 1865 Size: 12.2 x 19.5 cm.
1 - 20 of 51 results
Information for Researchers
Scope and Content
The Online Archive of California is an initiative of the California Digital Library.
Copyright © 2009 The Regents of The University of California