Jump to Content
What is OAC?
> UC Berkeley
> University Archives
Finding Aid to a Centennial Exhibit from the Nine Campuses of the University of California, 1868-1968
UARC PIC 1900
Online items available
Request items ↗
Contact UC Berkeley::University Archives
View entire collection guide
Search this collection
Entire Collection Guide
Table of contents
21 - 40 of 57 results
Los Angeles campus. Two of the world's greatest athletes came from the cinder track of UCLA. In the 1960 Olympics in Rome, Rafer Johnson (right) and C. K. Yang (left) finished first and second, with the highest decathlon scores in history. Johnson had been runner-up in the 1956 Olympics. Shown with UCLA Coach Drake.
Los Angeles campus. Three national basketball titles in four years - 1964, 1965 and 1967. Shown here are Bruins accepting the NCAA trophy by downing Dayton in the final at Louisville, 79 to 64.
Los Angeles campus. Principal speaker at Charter Day exercises on April 2, 1963 was former President Dwight D. Eisenhower, here being escorted by Chancellor Murphy to an alumni reception.
Los Angeles campus. One of the most widely known UCLA scientists is Dr. Willard F. Libby, who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1960 for development of the carbon-14 'atomic time clock' method of dating the age of fossils. He now directs the University-wide Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics.
Los Angeles campus. Commencement in June 1965 was also the dedication of Pauley Pavilion and Memorial Activities Center on UCLA campus.
Los Angeles campus. The aerial photograph shows the amazing development since 1929. Left center are four large residence halls, while in the center is the 13,000-seat Pauley Pavilion. On the upper right are seen the concentrated buildings of the central campus, dominated at the upper tip by the high-rise Dickson Art Center and the Social Sciences Building. On the lower part is the interlocking complex of the Center for the Health Sciences.
Davis campus. Davis Picnic Day in 1920 brought hundreds of alumni and friends to the campus. Parking was provided in fields now used as central campus. Building at right is West Hall, long used as a student residence hall.
Davis campus. The Davis Farm as it appeared in early 1920s. The main buildings were clustered around a central field planted to alfalfa, later to become the Quadrangle.
Davis campus. Shelved in the wine cellar at Davis are samples of the U.C. vintages dating back to the 1930s. A number of the quality wines now important in California industry were created in the Department of Viticulture and Enology.
Davis campus. A 1947 photo shows elephant trains used for Picnic Day transportation and other special events on the Davis campus. The annual Picnic Day program draws 60,000 people to the campus each April.
Davis campus. Bicycles provide traditional campus transportation. Library walkway contains time capsules placed by each graduating class since 1915.
San Francisco campus. The S. F. Medical Center traces its history to 1864 to Toland Medical College. In 1873 the college was presented to the University. This original building was located at Stockton and Chestnut Streets opposite the San Francisco City Hospital.
San Francisco campus. A class in operative surgery was conducted in 1894 in the operating theater of the old San Francisco City and County Hospital.
San Francisco campus. First University Hospital was established in 1907 in the Medical School Building. The pictured University of California Hospital was constructed with private funds and opened in 1917.
San Francisco campus. Up-to-date medical facilities and techniques are made available to rural areas with the mobile clinic constructed and operated by U. C. Medical Center faculty and students. Mobile clinic was developed in 1965.
San Francisco campus. Medical Center at the edge of San Francisco's Sutro Forest as it appeared in 1966. Tall buildings in center are Moffitt Hospital, Medical Sciences Building and Health Sciences and Instructional Research Buildings.
Riverside campus. On March 27, 1918, citrus growers, scientists, and civic leaders met to dedicate the Citrus Experiment Station and Graduate School of Tropical Agriculture. Site was a 471-acre tract on the western slopes of Box Springs Mountain.
Riverside campus. In the fall of 1955 the old Citrus Experiment Station Barn, built in 1916, was converted into a coffee shop. Horse stalls were retained and form booths for the popular student eating place.
Riverside campus. Humanities Court, a busy place between classes, is typical of colorful buildings of modern campus. College of Letters and Science opened in 1954.
Riverside campus. The 161 foot Carillon Tower was built in 1966 and rises above the beautiful and modern classrooms of the 1200 acre campus.
21 - 40 of 57 results
Information for Researchers
Scope and Contents Note
The Online Archive of California is an initiative of the California Digital Library.