The Faculty Women's Club (FWC) originated as a political action group. In 1918 there were moves afoot to create a four-year
college in Southern California. Women of the faculty of the Los
Angeles Normal School came together and formed a Faculty Women's Club in order to help
gather support for the proposed four year college particularly among women's groups in the
State. In 1919 the Normal School became the Southern Branch of the University of California.
Once the political objective was achieved the FWC met to consider the club's future. The club
determined to continue and by the spring of 1920 the first constitution and purpose of the FWC of
the Southern Branch of the University of California had been drafted. The first purpose did not
include specific mention of scholarships and yet the treasurer's report for 1920-1921 includes the
entry: $30.00 for Student Loan Fund. This fund, the first such fund at UCLA, was the modest
beginning for the club's present scholarship program. The club has continued, without
interruption, and tried to fulfill the founders' hope that it would "create a broader view and deeper
interest in the civic, political and social life in our community."
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library, Department
of Special Collections University Archives Reference Desk for paging information.