Correspondence, blueprints, contracts, photographs, reports, specifications.
The early years of the twentieth century saw a continuing growth of the collections and services of the California State Library
as well as most other branches of government. Space in the State Capital Building was no longer sufficient and the need for
a new building to house the State Library and Courts became manifest. First bonds, $3,000,000 for a new building were voted
and approved by the electorate in November of 1917, the City of Sacramento gave title to two blocks bounded by L and N, Ninth
and Tenth, as the site for the new state building. Competition to select an architect resulted in the choice of Weeks and
Day of San Francisco.