Title: Dept. of Public Works. Division of Highways. Joint Highway District 10 Records
California. Division of Highways
California State Archives
For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact the California State Archives. Permission for reproduction or publication
is given on behalf of the California State Archives as the owner of the physical items. The researcher assumes all responsibility
for possible infringement which may arise from reproduction or publication of materials from the California State Archives
[Identification of item], Dept. of Public Works. Division of Highways. Joint Highway District 10 Records, F3761, California
San Francisco and San Mateo counties formed District #10 on September 4, 1928, for the sole purpose of construction of Junipero
Serra Boulevard (later known as State Route 237) from San Francisco-San Mateo county line South to Burlingame.
The Joint Highway Act (
Stats. 1917, ch. 52) established the legal framework under which two or more counties could form a partnership for road construction.
Under Section 9 of the 1917 act, the Board of Supervisors of San Francisco and San Mateo counties appointed one of their members
to a highway Board of Directors. These two members in turn picked a third member, normally someone outside of county government,
to complete the governing board. Directors of District #10 were responsible for all phases of highway construction--right-of-ways,
construction contracts, funding, and personnel (see MINUTES, series #2). Members of the board served at the pleasure of their
county boards of supervisors, and received no salary.
The State of California normally contributed one third the amount of road construction; the remaining two-thirds being divided
85% to San Francisco and 15% to San Mateo County. At the completion of road construction, San Mateo assumed all expenses connected
with road maintenance.
Junipero Serra Boulevard was constructed in sections over a number of years. The first section, completed in 1930, extended
Serra Boulevard from the county line Southward to School Street. A second section to Edgemar Road was completed by 1933. A
third section in 1933 extended Serra Boulevard to El Camino Real, and a fourth section in 1940 to Sneath Road. Two final sections
during the 1950's completed the road to Burlingame (see CONTRACT FILE, series #4).
In its 28 years of existence, District #10 spent over three million dollars, completing a little over ten miles of highway.
Governor Knight in 1956 signed legislation that dissolved District #10, turning authority over Serra Boulevard to Highway