The Mission Santa Clara Book Collection is comprised of 148 titles of Mission-period books, dating from 1548-1835. The Collection
was the library for Mission Santa Clara, founded in 1777 by the Franciscan Fathers. The volumes are primarily religious books
including Bibles, breviaries, devotional works, theological publications, and compilations of sermons. Some volumes are reference
volumes about agriculture.
The Mission Santa Clara Book Collection was created by the Franciscan Fathers when they founded Mission Santa Clara in 1777.
Many of the volumes were brought from the Colegio de San Fernando in Mexico City, the headquarters of the Franciscans in New
Spain. When Mission Santa Clara was transferred from the Franciscans to the Jesuits to establish Santa Clara College in 1851,
many of these volumes were transferred as well. Some volumes were in private ownership and have since been returned to the
Mission Book Collection in the Archives (accession 992-026). Additional Mission-period books are located in the Special Collections
of Orradre Library, and the de Saisset Museum.
Permission to copy or publish any portion of the Archives' materials must be given by the University Archivist.
Santa Clara University permits public access to its archives within the context of respect for individual privacy, administrative
confidentiality, and the integrity of the records. It reserves the right to close all or any portion of its records to researchers.