Scope and Content
Title: Association For Clinical Pastoral Education, Pacific Region Records,
Date (inclusive): 1967-98
Accession number: GTU 89-5-06
Shelf location: 2/A/2, 2/J/2
Association For Clinical Pastoral Education, Pacific Region
Size: 6 boxes; 2 ½ ft.
Type of material: Organizational files, correspondence, photographs, videotapes
The Graduate Theological Union.
Source and Date
ACPE, Pacific Region; ca. 1976-77, 1998
Collection is open for research.
Copyright has not been assigned to The Graduate Theological Union. All requests for
permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing
to the Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf
of The Graduate Theological Union as the owner of the physical items and is not intended
to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be
obtained by the reader.
[Identification of item], Association For Clinical Pastoral Education, Pacific Region Records, GTU 89-5-06, The Graduate Theological
Union Archives, Berkeley, CA.
Pastoral counseling - History - Sources
Pastoral counseling - Study and teaching - History - Sources
Theology - Study and teaching - History -- Sources
Psychology and Religion - History -- Sources
Chaplains, Hospital - History -- Sources
Cedarleaf, J. Lennart
McGiffert, Arthur Cushman, 1892-
Boisen, Anton T. (Anton Theophilus), 1876-1965
Although official formation of the Pacific Region occurred in 1967, its roots are found in clinical ministry education initiatives
of the 1920's by pioneers William Keller in Cincinnati, Richard C. Cabot in Boston, and Anton T. Boisen in Worcester, Massachusetts.
As more students sought these learning experiences two organizations emerged in the 1930's and 1940's to provide and promote
clinical education as a challenging complement to classical academic theological education. The Council for Clinical Training
of Theological Students was organized in 1930 in Boston, and after a few years some of the group located in New York City,
becoming the Council for Clinical Training (CCT). Those remaining became in 1937 the New England Theological Schools Committee
on Clinical Training, reorganizing in 1944 as the Institute of Pastoral Care (IPC).
Interest and support grew as theological students and ministers enrolled in clinical training programs within hospitals and
prisons. Chaplains whose theological education was enriched with psychological understanding supervised these programs. Students,
engaged in actual clinical ministry, reported their experiences in verbatims and case studies for discussion in small groups
with peers, and with their supervisor. Didactic seminars with resource persons from the clinical setting expanded student
Pastoral education organizations developed in the 1950's and 1960's as certified supervisors established new training centers.
The first West Coast program was in the summer of 1951 at Emanuel Hospital, Portland, OR, supervised by Chaplain H. George
Randolph, connected with the Institute of Pastoral Care. Pastoral education started in California following Anton T. Boison's
visits in the late 1940's as special lecturer at Pacific School of Religion in Berkeley, and other Bay area seminaries. He
also met with the Superintendent/Medical Director at Napa State Hospital, Imola, convincing him to have a clinical training
program. Consequently the second West Coast program began in March 1952 at Napa with Chaplain Herman Eichorn, Council for
Clinical Training supervisor. With additional programs in California a type of regional structure began in 1957. This enabled
CCT supervisors to meet for mutual support, provide mid-summer student conferences, and extend national activities of certification,
accreditation and seminary affiliations.
Another dimension emerged in these years of growth, cooperation and competition of CCT and IPC when two denominations, Lutherans
and Southern Baptists formed new pastoral education organizations. Representatives of all four organizations met for several
years, culminating November 17, 1967 with the merger creating the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc. (ACPE).
This merger created nine regions, with the Pacific Region including Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada,
Oregon, Utah, and Washington. Regional functions include formation of governance structures, sharing with national committees
for standards, accrediting new education centers, new supervisor certifications, promoting student enrollments, and developing
seminary affiliations. The region uses periodic self-studies to improve its structure and programs, seeking balance among
national, regional and local priorities. In 1967 the Region began with 1
8 training centers in two states, and 6 affiliated theological seminaries. Regional growth continued and by the end of the
20th century certified supervisor and accredited centers functioned in all states. From 1967-1999 clinical education centers
existed at times in 94 locations, and four of the original 18 centers continue. At least 140 certified supervisors were active
in the region in these years, and affiliations were established with 19 seminaries. The Pacific Region launched creative initiatives
to develop new CPE programs in urban and rural environments, fosters continuing education and peer review for supervisors,
provides periodic newsletters, and arranges mid-summer conferences for students. Regional membership reflects gender and social
inclusiveness, promoting multi-cultural and interfaith education initiatives within its centers and programs.
William F. Adix, Chair, ACPE Pacific Region History Committee.
Hall, Charles E.:
Head and Heart: "The Story of the Clinical Pastoral Education Movement",
Journal of Pastoral Care Publications, Inc., 1992.
Powell, Robert C.; "CPE: Fifty Years of Learning Through Supervised Encounter with Living Human Documents." The Association
for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc. 1975.
- Pacific Region, ACPE, documents.
Scope and Content
A collection had been given to the GTU Library ca. 1976-77, but there was no documentation on the original gift. Efforts to
contact the leadership of the Pacific Region to confirm the gift of the collection were unsuccessful until 1997 when William
Adix, Chair of the History Committee, contacted the GTU Archives. Subsequently the Pacific Region gift was confirmed in 1998
resulting in a collection of materials compiled according to the "Association for Clinical Pastoral Education Guidelines for
NOTE: The repository for the records of the national ACPE and some regional associations is the Archives and Manuscripts Department,
Pitts Theological Library, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322: Association for Clinical Pastoral Education Records (RG 001).