Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Rosenberg Collection of Stockton and Sacramento Jewish History Materials
MSS 51  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (85.84 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Access
  • Publication Rights
  • Preferred Citation
  • Biography / Administrative History
  • Scope and Content of Collection
  • Indexing Terms

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Rosenberg collection of Stockton and Sacramento Jewish history materials
    Dates: 1855-1976
    Collection number: MSS 51
    Creator: Rosenberg, Bernard D. Rabbi
    Collection Size: 5 linear feet
    Repository: University of the Pacific. Library. Holt-Atherton Dept. of Special Collections
    Stockton, California 95211
    Abstract: 20th century Stockton Rabbi, Bernard Rosenberg, collected genealogical material and records on early Jewish history of Stockton.
    Physical location: For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the library's online catalog.
    Languages: Languages represented in the collection: English

    Access

    Collection open for research.

    Publication Rights

    Permission for publication is given on behalf of Special Collections as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the researcher.

    Preferred Citation

    Rosenberg collection of Stockton and Sacramento Jewish history materials. MSS 51. Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections, University of the Pacific Library.

    Biography / Administrative History

    By 1849 there were over two hundred Jews in the Gold Rush transportation hub city of Stockton. Two years later they formed a benevolent society, Ryhim Ahvooim [Brotherly Love] (1851), and in 1855 formally organized a congregation. This group was nominally orthodox, though some traditional practices were abandoned to conform to life in a growing western town. During its first twenty-one years the congregation was generally headed by cantors with rabbis present only on high holy days or for short periods. From 1890 there was a strong movement within the congregation to adopt Reformed Judaism and eventually the cantor was removed, women were allowed to join the congregation and a rabbi was found who could preach in English (1896).

    Scope and Content of Collection

    20th century Stockton Rabbi, Bernard Rosenberg, collected genealogical material and records on early Jewish history of Stockton. Much of it came from Ryhim Ahvooim's Board of Trustees Minutes and financial records (1855-1957) and from Stockton's Jewish Cemetery, which was established in 1851 and is the oldest one of its kind in continuous use west of the Rocky Mountains. Also present in the collection are the Minutes and some financial records of Hope Lodge No. 126 of the Independent Order of B'nai B'rith (1869-1929,1976) and similar materials from the Jewish Community Council (1948-1956), its precursor, the Jewish Community Center (1925-1947), and the local Hadassah (1908-1957). There are also clippings, photographs and other materials pertaining to the congregation and construction (1953) of Temple B'nai Israel in Sacramento (1892-1957).

    Indexing Terms

    The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.
    Ryhim Ahoovim Congregation (Stockton, Calif.)
    Independent Order of B'nai B'rith. |b District Hope Lodge No. 126.
    Temple B'nai Israel (Sacramento, Calif.)
    Jewish Community Center (Stockton, Calif.)
    Jews - California - Stockton.
    Jews - California - Sacramento.
    Cemeteries (Jewish law)