Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Inventory of the Consolidated Virginia Mining Co. Records, 1876-1955
Consult repository  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (69.05 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Administrative Information
  • Brief History
  • Subject matter
  • Persons represented:
  • Important or interesting items

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: Consolidated Virginia Mining Co. Records,
    Date (inclusive): 1876-1955
    Creator: Consolidated Virginia Mining Co.
    Extent: Number of pieces: Approximately 1, 300 pieces
    Repository: The Huntington Library
    San Marino, California 91108
    Language: English.

    Administrative Information


    Purchased from Neil Weinstein, May 9, 1975


    Collection is open to qualified researchers by prior application through the Reader Services Department. For more information please go to following URL .

    Publication Rights

    In order to quote from, publish, or reproduce any of the manuscripts or visual materials, researchers must obtain formal permission from the office of the Library Director. In most instances, permission is given by the Huntington as owner of the physical property rights only, and researchers must also obtain permission from the holder of the literary rights. In some instances, the Huntington owns the literary rights, as well as the physical property rights. Researchers may contact the appropriate curator for further information.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], Consolidated Virginia Mining Co. Records, The Huntington Library, San Marino, California.

    Brief History

    The Consolidated Virginia Mining Co. on the Comstock Lode at Virginia City, Nevada, was organized in 1867, but the sinking of a shaft was delayed for two years. The lode was difficult to find, work stopped, and the stock fell considerably in 1870. In 1871, James Flood began to buy stock in Consolidated Virginia and, joined by John Mackay, James Fair, and William O'Brien, formed the Bonanza Firm. They bought the land owned by the Consolidated Virginia Mining Co. and hoped to find rich ore in that section between the Gould & Curry and the Ophir mines. In 1873, they struck the Big Bonanza, which produced over $100 million of ore from 1873-82. The firm bought control of the adjoining Ophir and Mexican mines in 1877. Although the firm dominated the Comstock from 1876-95, when Mackay sold the interests to San Francisco stockbrokers, the last dividend was paid in 1880. The Con-Virginia was the most successful mine on the Comstock and one of the few to pay more in dividends than it levied in assessments. In the 1930's, the company was reactivated to mine and mill the lower grade ore still remaining. The reactivated firm in 1933 collected old maps and also made detailed new maps of the older workings, level by level. These 112 large rolled maps (which include one signed by Charles Frederick Hoffmann) show various mines and mining claims on the Comstock Lode in addition to Con-Virginia.
    Some high-grade veins were found and production continued until 1942 when gold mining activity was curtailed because of war-time restrictions. After this time, the mine operated only sporadically and correspondence ceases in 1955.

    Subject matter

    • Nevada - mines and mineral resources
    • Comstock Lode
    • Mining industry and finance

    Persons represented:

    • Zeb Kendall (account book and many letters as president of the firm)

    Important or interesting items

    • Hoffmann Charles Frederick. General Map of Comstock Mines [c. 1879]. Map 1
    • Osborne, W. L. Consolidated Virginia and Ophir Mines: Assay Plans (10 maps showing details of original level workings). 1933-1934. Map Roll 16
    • Consolidated Virginia Mining Co. Minutes of the Board of Directors. 1932-1935. Box 1
    • Con-Virginia Diamond Drill Logs and correspondence. 1950. Box 4