The records of the Twentieth Century Club of Berkeley span the entire life of this womens' club, from its organization in
1904 through its dissolution in 1989. These consist of the official records, including founding documents, minutes, and legal
and financial records, as well as files kept by the club's presidents and other officials. Also included are the files kept
by members who served as chairs of the various sections and committees which were responsible for monthly programs. The history
and activities of the Twentieth Century Club are most extensively documented in their annual scrapbooks.
The Twentieth Century Club of Berkeley was founded on December 13, 1904 by Mrs. H. N. Baldwin, a newcomer to Berkeley who
had long enjoyed the experiences of club life in Los Angeles and Pasadena. Recognizing that the one women's club in Berkeley
was insufficient to meet the needs of this growing community, she invited to her home a few friends, including Mrs. Annie
Little Barry, Mrs. Julia B. Foster, Mrs. Carrie B. Rice, Mrs. Henry W. Taylor, Mrs. L. V. Sweesy, Mrs. William Caldwell, and
Mrs. E. L. Campbell, and presented her idea to form a new organization.
Number of containers: 6 cartons, 2 boxes, 7 volumes, 6 oversize folders
Linear feet: 9
Copyright has not been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts
must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft
Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which
must also be obtained by the reader.
Collection is open for research.