Register of the Salem-Needham School scrapbooks, 1935-1939

Processed by Don Walker; machine-readable finding aid created by Don Walker
San Joaquin County Historical Society and Museum
11793 North Micke Grove Road
Lodi, CA 95241
Phone: (209) 463-4119
Fax: (209) 369-2178
Email: dwalker@uop.edu
URL: http://www.sanjoaquinhistory.org/
© 2000
San Joaquin County Historical Society & Museum. All rights reserved.

Register of the Salem-Needham School scrapbooks, 1935-1939

Collection number: Ms21

San Joaquin County Historical Society and Museum



Lodi, California

Contact Information

  • San Joaquin County Historical Society and Museum
  • 11793 North Micke Grove Road
  • Lodi, CA 95241
  • Phone: (209) 463-4119
  • Fax: (209) 369-2178
  • Email: dwalker@uop.edu
  • URL: http://www.sanjoaquinhistory.org/
Processed by:
Don Walker
Date Completed:
October 1998
Encoded by:
Don Walker
© 2000 San Joaquin County Historical Society & Museum. All rights reserved.

Descriptive Summary

Title: Salem-Needham School scrapbooks,
Date (inclusive): 1935-1939
Collection number: Ms21
Creator:
Extent: 1.5 linear ft.
Repository: San Joaquin County Museum.
Lodi, CA 95241
Language: English.

Administrative Information

Access

Collection is open for research by appointment only.

Publication Rights

The library can only claim physical ownership of the collection. Users are responsible for satisfying any claimants of literary property.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Salem-Needham School scrapbooks, Ms21, San Joaquin County Historical Society and Museum.

Access Points

personal name

Naas, C.W.
Smith, A.T.

corporate name

Salem School (Lodi, Calif.)
Needham School (Lodi, Calif.)
Lodi School District (Calif.)
Salem School District (Lodi, Calif.)
Salem-Needham Parent Teacher Association (Lodi, Calif.)

subject

Elementary schools - California - Lodi
Elementary school teaching - California - Lodi
Elementary school facilities - California - Lodi
Parent-teacher relationships - California - Lodi

geographic name

Lodi (Calif.) - Social life and customs
Lodi (Calif.) - History - Sources

Biography

Lodi's Salem School District was formed in May 1859, before the City of Lodi had come into existence. By the time developers had platted the city, Salem School was ready for its third schoolhouse, a substantial two-story building at the corner of School and Pine streets (1872). By 1907, when the District's name was officially changed to "Lodi School District" three schools formed the Salem District. During its later years, the old Salem School housed seventh and eight graders only, and by 1938 the building was abandoned. After its closure, Salem students were transferred to Needham School which had been erected on Pleasant Street (1921) and was expanded to accomodate the Salem students in 1938. The Needham School was named for Clyde Needham, the first citizen of Lodi to be killed in World War I. Grades kindergarten through eight were taught at the school, which occupies a twelve acre site on Pleasant Street.

Scope and Content

The three scrapbooks which comprise this collection chronicle the final years of the old Salem School classes and the transfer of seventh and eighth grade pupils to the newly expanded Needham School. They were created and maintained by the Salem District Parent Teacher Association and contain information about the activities of that body as well as of the schools themselves (1935-1939).

CONTAINER LIST

 

BOX 1: SALEM/NEEDHAM SCHOOL SCRAPBOOKS

 

1.1: "Salem/Needham PTA publicity record," 1935-1936

 

1.2: "Salem News," 1935-1936 [probably clippings from regular column in a Lodi newspaper produced by Salem students; "written under supervision of C.W. Naas, teacher of journalism"]

 

1.3: "Scrap Book," 1938-1939 [begins with move to Needham School; incl. regular Lodi Times column: "Needham Highlights" clippings; materials arranged by subject: "Red Cross," "Music," "Assembly," "Science," etc.]