Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
Register of the Faculty Wives, University of California, San Francisco Records, 1948-87
MSS 89-38  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (100.79 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Overview
 
Table of contents What's This?
Description
Records include correspondence, minutes, announcements and flyers, historical information, subject files.
Background
The organization began in 1917 after the opening of the University Hospital, when the need for some type of non-official support was needed. The first name adopted by the group was "Ladies of the Medical Faculty of UC," apparently the first such group west of the Mississippi. In 1925 the name was changed to "Doctors' Wives Association of U.C.," and the goals were much the same: working for hospital as needed, providing social occasions for wives of medical faculty. One of the earliest projects was the provision of clothing for children in the pediatric wards. In the years that followed, the Doctors' Wives also supported Dr. Olney's camp for diabetic children, decorated Christmas trees, and provided furnishings for Millberry Union.
Availability
Collection is open for research.