Register of the Highland Hospital Records

Processed by Special Collections staff; machine-readable finding aid created by James Lake
UCSF Library & CKM
Archives and Special Collections
530 Parnassus Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94143-0840
Phone: (415) 476-8112
Fax: (415) 476-4653
Email: http://www.library.ucsf.edu/collections/archives/contact
URL: http://www.library.ucsf.edu/collections/archives
© 1998
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

Note

History --History, California --General Biological and Medical Sciences --General

Register of the Highland Hospital Records

Collection number: MSS 91-77

UCSF Library & CKM



Archives and Special Collections

University of California, San Francisco

Contact Information:

  • Alameda Health System
  • Medical Library
  • 1411 E. 31st Street
  • Oakland, California 94602
  • Phone: (510) 437-4701
  • Email: cyue@alamedahealthsystem.org
  • URL: http://http://www.alamedahealthsystem.org/
Processed by:
UCSF Special Collections staff
Encoded by:
James Lake
© 1998 The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

Descriptive Summary

Title: Highland Hospital Records
Collection number: MSS 91-77
Creator: Highland Hospital
Extent: 6 cartons, 1 box, 4 oversize boxes
Repository: Alameda Health System. Medical Library.
Oakland, California 94602
Shelf location: For current information on the location of these materials, please contact Alameda Health System Medical Library: (510) 437-4701.
Language: English.

Administrative Information

Provenance

Received 7/11/91 from Linda Morgan, Medical Librarian. In 2014, the collection was transferred to the Alameda Health System Medical Library.

Access

Collection is open for research.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Highland Hospital records, MSS 91-77, Medical Library, Alameda Health System

Abstract

Partially processed. Includes records of Highland Hospital School of Nursing, student materials, Cadet Nurse Corps records, photographs; Highland Hospital medical staff records, patient records (selected); correspondence.

Administrative History

Health care for the indigent was provided in Alameda County as early as 1853. The first county hospital was opened in 1864 in a rented house in Oakland. In 1869 a new County Infirmary was opened in San Leandro; this institution would serve as the county hospital for some sixty years. In 1917, 9½ acres in the Highland Park district of Oakland were purchased as a site for the new hospital. The building was financed under the general tax fund until 1924 when a $1,800,000 bond issue was authorized for its completion at a cost of over $3,000,000. The name Highland Hospital had been suggested by Dr. R. G. Broderick, the first Director of Hospitals, to remove the perceived stigma associated with county care of indigency. In 1934 the name was changed to the Alameda County Hospital, Oakland. On December 24, 1940, the institution was given the official name of The Highland Alameda County Hospital. Known today as Alameda County Medical Center -Highland General Hospital, the institution is a busy, county-owned, 250-bed, acute medical/surgical hospital with approximately 35 full-time attending physicians and a house staff of more than 85. There are approved residencies in Emergency Meidicne, Internal Medicine, Surgery and Oral Surgery, with residents from the Unviersity of California at San Francisco (UCSF) or the University of California at Davis (UCD) to provide full-time coverage in Orthopedics, Pediatrics and Ophthalmology. All these programs have an instututional "umbrella" affiliation with either UCSF or UCD. Having received Trauma Center designation in 1986, the Emergency Department is a major segment of Highland General Hospital, with an annual census of 72,000+ patients, exclusive of Pediatrics and Psychiatry (most pediatric emergencies are seen at nearby Children's Hospital in Oakland).
The Highland School of Nursing, offering a three-year diploma program and eligibility for licensure in registered nursing, was located in Highland Alameda County Hospital. It was founded in 1915, when its first class of six students matriculated at the Alameda County Infirmary in San Leandro. Academic affiliation in basic sciences was provided by Mills College in Oakland. In addition to the facilities available at the school of nursing, Mills College and the Highland General Hospital, affiliations at nearby institutions were provided in nursery school, community nursing and rehabilitation.
During World War II, enrollment in schools of nursing increased substantially following the passage of the Bolton Act, which established the Cadet Nurse Corps of the Public Health Service, a program which authorized the USPHS to provided qualified candidates with all-expense scholarships to nursing schools. Students who enrolled under the plan became members of the U.S. Cadet Nursing Corps and upon graduation were required to serve with either military or essential civilian nursing until the end of the war. The program was discontinued in 1946.

Materal Cataloged Separately

  • Papers of Drs. Alfred M. Meads and Benjamin W. Black, separated during processing; see individual collections. Meads and Black collections remain in the UCSF Archives & Special Collections.

Container List

 

SERIES I. SCHOOL OF NURSING

 

Subseries A: General Records

Carton Ctn. 1

Student body minutes, September 1946 -May 1969 (7 v.)

 

Student assignments, grades, etc., 1923-1941, 1925 (2 v.)

 

S/N announcements, undated (1 folder)

 

S/N announcements: 1950-51, 1952-53, 1954-55, 1959-60, 1961-62, 1962-63, 1969-71 (1 folder)

 

Student handbook (s.d.); handbook, 1968 (2 folders)

 

Subseries B: U.S. Cadet Nurse Corps

Carton Ctn. 2

General information

 

Correspondence 7/44-1/45

 

Reports, 7/44-

 

Senior Cadet experience

 

Senior Cadet file: 7/44-6/45 (2)

 

Uniforms (2)

 

Federal Security (3)

 

SERIES II. PATIENT RECORDS [RESTRICTED]

Carton Ctn. 3

Birth records, 9/26-9/33, 10/33-7/38 (2 v.)

 

Discharged patients: 7/32-7/33, 8/36-8/37, 8/37/7/38, 1/42-4/43 (4 v.)

Carton Ctn. 4

Minor surgery, 1959-1963 (1 v.)

 

Reports on surgical procedures, 1/65-12/66 (6 binders)

 

Admission records, 3/40-1/51 (2 v.)

 

Death record, 9/26-5/31 (1 v.)

Carton Ctn. 5

Patient admission records (mentally ill), 1935-1942, 1942-1948, 1948-1953, 1953-1956, 1956-1959, 1950-1962, 1963-1964 (7 v.)

 

SERIES III. STAFF RECORDS; PHOTOGRAPHS

Box Box 1

Hospital staff meeting minutes (medical and business), 1938-1945 (5 folders)

 

Photographs (negatives, hospital exteriors, hospital interiors, groups, patients, nursing students, student yearbook photographs) (7 folders)

 

SERIES IV. OVERSIZE

oversize-shelf Oversize box 1

Photographs, oversize: groups; School of Nursing classes, 1964-1968

 

School of Nursing, class matriculation records, 1953-1960; master rotation for class entered 1958

oversize-shelf Oversize box 2

Scrapbooks: School of Nursing class of 1969; scrapbook of information on U.S. schools of nursing - brochures, photographs (1956-1957?)

oversize-shelf Oversize box 3

Pupil nurse record, Alameda County infirmary, 1917-1918 (1 oversize volume)

oversize-shelf Oversize box 4

Photographs (some framed)