Materal Cataloged Separately
Title: Highland Hospital Records
Collection number: MSS 91-77
Extent: 6 cartons, 1 box, 4 oversize boxes
University of California, San Francisco. Library. Archives and Special Collections.
San Francisco, California 94143-0840
Shelf location: For current information on the location of these
materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Received 7/11/91 from Linda Morgan, Medical Librarian.
Collection is open for research.
[Identification of item], Highland Hospital records, MSS 91-77, Archives & Special
Collections, UCSF Library & CKM
Partially processed. Includes records of Highland Hospital School of Nursing, student
materials, Cadet Nurse Corps records, photographs; Highland Hospital medical staff
records, patient records (selected); correspondence.
Health care for the indigent was provided in Alameda County as early as 1853. The first
county hospital was opened in 1864 in a rented house in Oakland. In 1869 a new County
Infirmary was opened in San Leandro; this institution would serve as the county hospital
for some sixty years. In 1917, 9½ acres in the Highland Park district of Oakland
were purchased as a site for the new hospital. The building was financed under the
general tax fund until 1924 when a $1,800,000 bond issue was authorized for its
completion at a cost of over $3,000,000. The name Highland Hospital had been suggested by
Dr. R. G. Broderick, the first Director of Hospitals, to remove the perceived stigma
associated with county care of indigency. In 1934 the name was changed to the Alameda
County Hospital, Oakland. On December 24, 1940, the institution was given the official
name of The Highland Alameda County Hospital. Known today as Alameda County Medical
Center -Highland General Hospital, the institution is a busy, county-owned, 250-bed,
acute medical/surgical hospital with approximately 35 full-time attending physicians and
a house staff of more than 85. There are approved residencies in Emergency Meidicne,
Internal Medicine, Surgery and Oral Surgery, with residents from the Unviersity of
California at San Francisco (UCSF) or the University of California at Davis (UCD) to
provide full-time coverage in Orthopedics, Pediatrics and Ophthalmology. All these
programs have an instututional "umbrella" affiliation with either UCSF or UCD. Having
received Trauma Center designation in 1986, the Emergency Department is a major segment
of Highland General Hospital, with an annual census of 72,000+ patients, exclusive of
Pediatrics and Psychiatry (most pediatric emergencies are seen at nearby Children's
Hospital in Oakland).
The Highland School of Nursing, offering a three-year diploma program and eligibility for
licensure in registered nursing, was located in Highland Alameda County Hospital. It was
founded in 1915, when its first class of six students matriculated at the Alameda County
Infirmary in San Leandro. Academic affiliation in basic sciences was provided by Mills
College in Oakland. In addition to the facilities available at the school of nursing,
Mills College and the Highland General Hospital, affiliations at nearby institutions were
provided in nursery school, community nursing and rehabilitation.
During World War II, enrollment in schools of nursing increased substantially following
the passage of the Bolton Act, which established the Cadet Nurse Corps of the Public
Health Service, a program which authorized the USPHS to provided qualified candidates
with all-expense scholarships to nursing schools. Students who enrolled under the plan
became members of the U.S. Cadet Nursing Corps and upon graduation were required to serve
with either military or essential civilian nursing until the end of the war. The program
was discontinued in 1946.
Materal Cataloged Separately
- Papers of Drs. Alfred M. Meads and Benjamin W. Black, separated during processing; see individual collections.