Inventory of the Viktor E. Frankl Collection, 1924 - 1998
Inventory of the Viktor E. Frankl Collection, 1924 - 1998
Accession number: GTU 89-5-012
The Graduate Theological Union Archives
Shelf location: 2/I/3 - 2/J/1
- Graduate Theological Union Archives
- 2400 Ridge Road
- Berkeley, California, 94709
- Phone: (510) 649-2523/2501
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- URL: http://gtu.edu/library/information/special-collections
- Processed by:
- Lucinda Glenn Rand
- Date Completed:
- Encoded by:
- Xiuzhi Zhou
Reprints: Chapters from Books. Alphabetical by author, then by year under author. Title underlined in green.
Bibliographies of Frankl's works in all languages, January 1990 and December 1991
A - Frankl, 1969
Frankl, 1970 - Matson
McCarthy - Zavalloni
Reprints: Periodical Articles. Alphabetical by author, then by year under author. Title underlined in red, except for articles from Forum for Logotherapy which are not underlined.
Alder - Ascher
Barber - Cullen
Dean - Frankl, 1949
Frankl, 1952 - Frankl, 1966
Frankl, 1967 - Frankl, 1992 (and n.d.)
Frost - Kubler-Ross
Ladouceur - Muller
Murphy - Stones
Takashima - Zehnpfenning
Reprints: Chapters and Articles.
Asperger - Frankl, 1964
Frankl, 1965 - Thun
2 ff, German newspaper articles
5 ff, Italian reprints
Subject Files: Viktor Frankl.
Frankl vita information
Letter: Frankl to "Lieber Fritz", 10/3/46, German, photocopy
Courses on Frankl, by Leslie, 1963-65, 71, 80
Correspondence Re: trips and speaking engagements, 1959-64
Play: "Eternal Record", ca. 1946, copyright 1977
Play: "Synchronisation in Buchenwald" (Alternate title, "Eternal Record"), performed 1st Unitarian Church, Berkeley, January 1978 (See Tapes 25, 26, 27, 28 Box 26)
Preliminary Notes for Lecture: "The Defiant Power of the Human Spirit", Berkeley, CA, handwritten 11/2/1979
"An Existential Therapist Looks at Love", typescript, n.d.
"Time and Responsibility, typescript, n.d.
Self-caricature, signed, n.d.
Caricatures, photocopies, n.d.: "3 schools of Viennese Psychotherapy", "In Frankl's Class-Room"
Subject Files: Frankl Library and Memorabilia.
Announcement of Library's establishment, 1975
Guide to the Library, 1976, 1988, 1992
Committee meeting, 11/1977
Form for Requests and Acknowledgements, n.d.
Notes and Bibliographies, Lists for gathering the collection,1975-76
Correspondence: gathering the reprints collection, 1975-76
Correspondence: requesting dissertations, 1976
Bibliographies of works by Frankl and about Logotheraphy, various languages and dates.
Correspondence, 1977-92: with GTU Librarians on processing the collection, with authors and others for material to add to the collection, about the Library Fund, and general
Book reviews, various dates
Library Fund, ledgers and vouchers, 1975-93
Randolph Sasnett Gift, correspondence, 1980, 1989
Exhibit materials, various dates
Book, photocopy: Trotzdem Ja zum Leben Sagen, Frankl (Franz Deuticke: Wien, 1947)
Book reviews of Frankl books:
From Death Camp to Existentialism, pub. 1959
Doctor and the Soul, pub. 1965
Psychotherapy and Existentialism, pub. 1967
Will to Meaning, pub. 1969
The Unconscious God, pub. 1975
The Unheard Cry for Meaning, pub. 1978
Das Menschenbild der Seelenheilkunde, n.d.
Printed Study Guide for Tape 17 (see Box 25)
Printed Study Guide for Tape 29 (see Box 26)
Subject Files: General.
Institute for Logotherapy, events and information, ca. 1978-early 1980's
Play: "Synchronization in Buchenwald"
Bibliographies and indexes for journal, "International Forum for Logotherapy"
Festival of Meaning, Berkeley, CA, 1977
Joseph Fabry, biographical information, 1989
Flyers for Frankl engagements, various dates
"Importance of the Four Dimensions of Man in the Concept of Noo-Psychosomatic medicine and some Case Histories", by Hiroshi Takashima (photocopy of typescript, various essays, 1978-83)
1. Galley Proofs, with corrections: From Death Camp to Existentialism, English translation by Ilse Lasch. Beacon Press, Boston, 1959
2. Caricature, by Frankl: James Crumbough. Signed, 1977
3. Caricature, by Frankl: "From John's Road to John's Cabinet" (Harvard on John's Road to John F. Kennedy, with Frankl as mountain climber) n.d.
4. Caricature, by Frankl: "Dimensional Jobology: The Teacher of Ministers" (Robert Leslie), n.d.
5. Poster: Institute of Logotherapy, V. Frankl, "A Life Long Search for Meaning with slides to Reminisce", June 28, 1991, San Jose, CA (3 copies)
6. Poster: Third World congress for Logotherapy, V. Frankl "Uberleben - wozu?", June 18, 1983, Regensburg, Germany (3 copies)
7. Periodical cover: Wochenpresse, Vol. 35 no. 15, 4/9/1980, picturing V. Frankl, caption "Sinn des Seins"
8. Poster: Institute of Logotherapy, V. Frankl "The Defiant Power of the Human spirit", Nov. 2, 1979, Berkeley, CA (3 copies)
9. Poster: Institute of Logotherapy and 1st Unitarian church of Berkeley, "Synchronisation in Buchenwald", play performance and discussion with V. Frankl, January 1978, Berkeley, CA
10. Poster: University of California Committee for Arts and Lectures and 1st Unitarian Church of Berkeley, V. Frankl "Therapy through Meaning", Feb. 13, 1977, Berkeley, CA
11. Periodical: Pace, Vol. 3 no. 5, May 1967, "A Human Dynamo Sparks College America", pg. 36-41
12. Citation to V. Frankl from The Religion in Education Foundation (Randolph Sasnett Gift), Oct. 10, 1960
13. Poster: Seasons of Life Forum, V. Frankl "Man's Search for Meaning", n.d., Lafayette, CA
14. Poster: Youth Corps Events, V. Frankl "The Unheard Cry for Meaning", n.d., Toronto, Canada
Photocopies, MSS pages for Doctor and the Soul written in the camps, ca. 1944
Frankl, ca. 1947
Frankl, on REF 1957 lecture tour, with Randolph Sasnett (Sasnett Gift)
Frankl with Ashley Montague, 1957
Frankl, mountainclimbing, 1957
Frankl with Robert Leslie and Martin Heiddeger, ca. 1961
Frankl with Robert Leslie and Ludwig Binswanger, ca. 1961
Frankl with Robert Leslie, ca. 1961
Frankl with Aaron Ungersma, ca. 1961 (Sasnett Gift)
Frankl with daughter Gabrielle, ca. 1961
Frankl, 1962 (Sasnett Gift)
Frankl at Pacific School of Religion, 1963
Frankl with Joseph Fabry, ca. 1960, 1965
Frankl with wife Elly and Pope Paul VI, 1972
Frankl with wife Elly and Jackeline Humberger, ca. 1977
Frankl, ca. 1977
Frankl with Elizabeth Lukas, 1977
Frankl, ca. 1978
Frankl with Elly, mountains, 9/1982
Frankl with ?, n.d.
Frankl with Elly, Auschwitz, n.d.
Gordon Allport with Elly, ca. 1959
Festival of Meaning, Berkeley, CA, Feb. 1977
Frankl at Reception, Vienna Imperial Castle, 1977
Frankl, visit and exhibit, 1989
Joseph Fabry, n.d.
Elizabeth Lukas, n.d.
Card Catalog: Frankl Library and Memorabilia.
2. Memorabilia and Artifacts
3. Books in the GTU Library
Randolph and Martena Sasnett Gift.
Address by Frankl: Annual Memorial, Vienna Society of Physicians, 3/25/1949
National Tour, 9-10/1957. Materials from binders include correspondence, manuscripts of lectures, photographs, publicity materials, interviews, newspaper clippings
Correspondence, publishing English translations of Frankl works, 1957-67
National Tour, 2/1960. Materials from binders
"American Bibliography on Logotherapy and Existential Analysis", ca. 1960
Program: International Congress for Psychotherapy, Vienna, 8/1961
Frankl Lecture: "Existential Dynamics and Neurotic Escapism", Academy of Religion and Health, May 17, 1962
National Tour, 2/1963. Materials from binder
"American Bibliography on Logotheraphy and Existenzanalyse" compiled by Frankl, ca. 1963
"A Person's Search for Values", Values Colloquium, 10/1963
Film project material: "Value Dimensions in Teaching", Frankl and Huston Smith, Santa Barbara, CA, 10/1963
National Tour, 10/1963. Materials from binder
November 1964 engagements
Frankl Speech: Tribute to RIE and Sasnett, 7/21/1966, handwritten mss
Frankl Lecture, 7/23/1966
Newsclippings, 1969, 1974-75
Brochure: Institute of Logotheraphy, announcement, 1970
Frankl Address: "Man in search of Meaning", Rockford College Commencement, 5/14/1972
Frankl tribute to Sasnett, 2/20/1973
"In Memoriam" to J. Randolph Sasnett, 1890-1978, in International Forum for Logotheraphy Vol. 1 no. 1 Winter 1978-Spring 1979, pg. 24-25.
Various published articles, 1955-67
"Brief Account of Dr. V. Frankl and U.S. Connections" by Martena Sasnett, 9/1998
Manuscripts: English translations of Frankl's works.
Ein Psycholog erlebt das Konzentrationslager (Verlag fur Jugend und Volk: Wien, 1947).
"A Psychologist Experiences Life in a Concentration Camp", Ilse Lasch, translator, 1958, typescript, incomplete
"From Death Camp to Existentialism", Ilse Lasch, trans., typescript, 1959
"Man's Search for Meaning", Part Two: "Basic Concepts of Logotherapy", Ilse Lasch, trans., 1962
"Psychotherapy and Existentialism", typescript, 1967
"Homo Patiens", English translation, typescript, ca. 1950
"The Unconscious God", English trans. By William A. Sadler, typescript, ca. 1958
Audiotapes, Reel to Reel: Sasnett Gift.
1. 9/19/1957: Columbia University, 2 tapes
2. 9/20-27/57: Harvard, 6 tapes
3. 9/30/57: Yale, 2 tapes
4. 10/4/57: Northwestern University, 1 tape
5. 10/12/57: Willamette University, 2 tapes
6. 10/12/57: University of Washington, 3 tapes
7. 10/16/57: University of Southern California, 4 tapes
8. 2/11/1960: University of Pittsburg, Western Psychiatric Institute, 1 tape
9. 2/12/60: Duquesne University, 1 tape
10. 2/19/60: St. louis University, 2 tapes
11. 2/23/60: Vanderbilt University, 3 tapes
12. 2/24/60: Texas Medical Center, 1 tape
Audiotapes, Reel to Reel:
1. 2/12-15/1963: University of Minnesota, 5 tapes
2. 2/14/63: St. Olaf College, 1 tape
3. 2/18-19/63: University of Illinois, 4 tapes
4. 2/20-21/63: University of Michigan, 6 tapes
Misc. Sasnett Gift tapes:
5. 4/2/63: Boston, MA, WGBH interview
6. 4/10/63: Wesleyan University, Ohio
7. 10/9/63: Devereux School, Santa Barbara, CA
8. 1963: Veteran's Hospital, Downey, CA
9. 8/28/66: Twentieth Anniversary of Religion in Education Foundation
From Robert Leslie and the old Pacific School of Religion Library:
10. Self Transcendence, 1968 (See Tape 11 Box 25)
11. Frankl Lectures (at San Francisco Theological Seminary?), 10/13/1960, 4 tapes
12. PSR Seminar, 10/7/63, "Philosophy of Logotherapy Applied to a Specific Case" (See Tape 6 Box 25)
13. PSR Lecture, 10/7/63, "Logotherapy as Medical Ministry"
14. Cowell Hospital, University of California, Berkeley, 10/7/63, "Clinical Aspects of Logotherapy" (See Tape 5a,b Box 25)
15. PSR Lecture, 5/7/66, "The Pastor as Logotherapist" (See Tape 8a,b Box 25)
Reel to Reel tape originals.
Box 25: Tapes 3, 4, 12a,b, 13, 16
Box 26: Tapes 30, 37a,b
Books: Frankl works in translation.
Afrikaans - Norwegian
Polish - Swedish
Books: by Robert Leslie.
Jesus and Logotherapy: The Ministry of Jesus as Interpreted Through the Psychotherapy of Viktor Frankl (Nashville: Abingdon,, 1965). BT590 P9 L4
Man's Search for a Meaningful Faith (Nashville: Graded Press, 1967). BV1550 L4 Size 9
El Hombre en Busca de una Fe Que Tenga (Spanish trans. of Man's Search for a Meaningful Faith), trans. Eusbio D. Rodriquez (Nashville: United methodist Church, Board of Education, Division of the Local Church, 1970).
Jesus and Logotherapy, Korean, trans. Byung Il Doh (Seoul: Korean Every home Crusade and Christian Press, 1973).
Jesus and Logotherapy, Japanese, trans. Shinichi Mandai (Kyoto, Japan: Rugarusha Press, 1978).
Between Person and Person: A Pastoral Counseling Manual, Chinese, trans. Sick-Hui Chiu (Kaohsiune, Taiwan: Union Printing, 1981).
Jesus as Counselor (originally published as Jesus and Logotherapy) (Nashville: Abingdon, 1982). BT590 P9 L4 1982
Viktor E. Frankl as Seen in Published Articles of Robert C. Leslie, compiled by Robert Leslie, photocopied, spiral bound, 1997.
Man's Search for Meaning: An Introduction to Logotherapy, 3rd edition (NY, NY: Simon and Schuster, 1984).
Viktor Frankl, People and Meaning by Edward Lazar (San Francisco: Golden Phoenix Press, 1985) no. 106/300.
"Logotherapy". Discussion, Aaron Ungersma and Roy Fairchild, moderated by Dr. Stein. 10/13/1960 (4 tapes)
"Frankl at Cranachstrasse". Frankl interviewed by Robert Leslie about Logotherapy and the events leading to the translation into English and publication of From Death Camp to Existentialism. 3/16/1961 (1 tape)
"Crossing the Iron Curtain". Address by Robert Leslie to the Berkeley City Commons Club, Nov. 3, 1961 for radio broadcast on KRE. Account of a trip to Auschwitz with Frankl Spring 1961. (1 tape, original reel to reel tape in Box 22)
"Address by Robert Leslie on Viktor Frankl". Given at Conference on Science and Religion, San Jacinto, CA, 3/2/1963. (1 tape, original reel to reel tape in Box 22)
"Clinical Aspects of Logotherapy". Frankl address given at Psychiatric Clinic, Cowell Memorial Hospital, University of California, Berkeley. Intro by Robert Leslie. 10/7/1963. (2 tapes, original reel to reel tape in Box 22)
"Philosophy of Logotherapy Applied to a Specific Case". Patient interviewed by Frankl before a professional audience at Pacific School of Religion, CA with a follow-up by Robert Leslie one year later. 10/7/1963, 1964 (1 tape, original reel to reel tape in Box 22)
"Logotherapy as Medical Ministry". Frankl address given in the Chapel, Pacific School of Religion, CA. 10/7/1963. (2 tapes, original reel to reel tape in Box 22)
"The Pastor as Logotherapist". Frankl lecture and question and answer period at Pacific School of Religion, CA. 5/9/1966 (2 tapes, original reel to reel tape in Box 22)
"Address of Viktor Frankl at DePauw University". 5/3/67 (3 tapes)
"What is Meant by Meaning". 1968 (1 tape)
"Self Transcendence: The Motivational Theory of Logotherapy". 1968 (1 tape, original reel to reel tape Box 22)
"The Triumph of the Human Spirit". Frankl lecture sponsored by Esalen Institute, given at First Unitarian Church, San Francisco, 10/13/1969. (2 tapes, original reel to reel tape Box 22)
"A Man in Search of Meaning". 1969 (1 tape, original reel to reel tape Box 22)
"The Existential Vacuum". 1969 (3 tapes)
"Man's Search for Meaning". Frankl lecture, Beth Harnish Lecture Series at Fresno State College, CA, 4/22/1971 (2 tapes)
"Dr. Viktor Frankl, Night Session". Dialogue between Frankl and C. Leslie following Fresno State College lecture, 4/22/1971 (1 tape, original reel to reel tape Box 22)
"Meaninglessness, Today's Dilemma". Frankl discussion. Printed Study Guide, Box 14, ff 32. Creative Resources, Waco, TX, 1971 (2 tapes)
"Man in Search of Meaning". Frankl lectures delivered at United States International University, San Diego, CA, 1976. (14 tapes)
"Theory and Therapy of Neurosis". Frankl lectures delivered at United States International University, San Diego, CA, 1976. (8 tapes)
"A Man in Search of Meaning". Frankl lecture delivered in Malaysia, 1976 (?). Singapore: Distributed by Counseling and Care. (1 tape)
"Inauguration of Frankl Library and Memorabilia". Frankl remarks at luncheon on 2/13/1976 during inauguration activities and Festival of Meaning at the Graduate Theological Union. (1 tape)
"Therapy Through Meaning". Frankl lecture and presentation of 1977 Albert Schweitzer Award from the Unitarian-Universalist Association, given at Zellerbach Hall, University of California, Berkeley, CA, 2/13/1977. Part of the Festival of Meaning. (2 tapes)
"A Festival of Meaning: Uniquest Session". 2/1977. See also Slides 1120-1143, GTU Slide Box 1/E (Slides 1120-1126, Frankl's visit to Auschwitz). (2 sets of 4 tapes)
"The Unheard Cry for Meaning". Frankl lecture delivered at massey hall, Toronto, Canada, 6/12/1977. (1 tape)
"Synchronisation in Buchenwald, Opening Night". Introduction by Joseph Fabry. Frankl remarks prior to first performance of his play at First Unitarian Church, Berkeley, CA, 1/18/1978. Question and answers after the play. See script, Box 13, ff 9; poster, Box 15. (1 tape, 2 copies)
"Synchronisation in Buchenwald, Second Night". Introduced by Joseph Fabry with remarks by Frankl. Second performance at First Unitarian Church, Berkeley, CA, 1/19/1978. (1 tape)
"Synchronisation in Buchenwald". 1/27/1978 performance at First Unitarian Church, Berkeley, CA. (1 tape, 2 copies)
"Synchronisation in Buchenwald". Recording of opening night (see Tape 25), 1/18/78 with an opening explantion and introduction by "Richard" [Richard Boeke?]. (2 tapes)
"Logotherapie und die Probleme der Zeit". (German) Printed Study Guide Box 14, ff 33: "Theorie und Therapie der Neurosen: Eine Kasuistische Einfuhrung fur Arzte". ca. 1980 (2 tapes)
"The Defiant Power of the Human Spirit: Message of Meaning in a Chaotic World". Frankl address delivered at Berkeley Community Theater, Berkeley, CA, co-sponsored by Institute of Logotherapy, Frankl Library and Memorabilia, GTU, and John F. Kennedy University, Orinda, CA, 11/2/1979. See handwritten lecture notes, Box 13, ff 10; poster, Box 15. (1 tape, original reel to reel, Box 22)
"The Rehumanization of Psychotherapy". Frankl lecture Georgia Center for Continuing Education, introduced by Joseph Fabry. 1980 (2 tapes)
"Focus, 1980: Joseph Fabry". KFRC radio program interview of Joseph Fabry, 8/31/1980. (1 tape)
"Joseph Fabry Interviewed by Eugene Kingdon". Interview on radio program "New Age Communications", 1980.
"Dr. Viktor Frankl and Tom Corrigan in Conversation". Includes Frankl relation to Freud and Adler, concentration camp anecdotes, and other topics. 1981 (3 tapes)
"Man in Search of Ultimate Meaning". Frankl lecture receiving the Oskar Pfister Award, American Psychiatric Association, 1985. (1 tape)
"Frankl Lectures" [Appears to be a series of seminars at United States International University, San Diego, CA held in January or February each year]. 1972-74, 1976, 1978. (19 tapes) 4 tapes are broken, unplayable; several are not understandable due to recording noise or the mike too far away from the lecturer; the numbering on some tapes seems to indicate tapes might be missing.
"Application of Logotherapy". Frankl, ca. 1977. (2 tapes, original reel to reel Box 22)
South East Corner, Storage Room.
1. "Viktor Frankl Discussion at PSR": with Joseph Fabry and Mary Ann Finch, moderated by Robert Leslie. Part of the Festival of Meaning, Berkeley, CA, Feb. 1977. Sd., b&w. 2 copies: original Sony V-32 tape; VHS show copy.
2. "Aspects and Prospects of Logotherapy": Frankl lecture at Riordan Auditorium, City College, San Francisco, 11/5/1978. Introduced by Ernest Nackford, CCSF Counselor. Sd., b&w. 2 copies: original Karex U-Matic tapes (Parts I & II); VHS show copy.
3. "Synchronization in Buchenwald: Introduction and Questions and Answers": First Unitarian Church, Berkeley, CA, 1/28/1978. Sony V-32 tape.
4. "Logotherapy": Discussion from "East Bay Live" (CA) with Richard Boeke, Joseph Fabry, and Penny Parsons, Feb. 27, 1980. 2 copies: original Sony U-matic tape; VHS show copy.
5. "Viktor Frankl in Israel": Nov. 13-15, 1988, includes Frankl receiving honorary doctorate from Haifa University, attending Bar Mitzvah at Western Wall, Jerusalem, visiting the Viktor Frankl Institute. Sd., col., VHS.
1. Slides 1120-1143: Festival of Meaning, and Uniquest Session, Berkeley, CA, Feb. 1977 (See also, Tape 23a-d, Box 26)
2. Slides 1144-1171: Festival of Meaning, Berkeley, CA, Feb. 1977
3. Slides 1172-1219: First World Congress of Logotherapy, San Diego, CA, 11/1980
1. Slides 1220-1232: First World Congress of Logotherapy (continued)
Photograph: Frankl, ca. 1977, framed. 2/I/3
Photograph: Frankl, n.d., on pressboard, 21"x29". Titled: "Prof. Viktor E. Frankl in 'Haus der Industrie' in Wein, 'im Tun, im Erleben, im Erleiden Sinn ist immer Hingabe.'" Top Range 2-3, Unit H
Photograph: Frankl, n.d., on pressboard, 20" x 29". Top Range 2-3, Unit H
Posters: World Congresses of Logotherapy: Regensburg, Germany, 1983 (3 copies); San Francisco, 1984 (3 copies) Top Range 2-3, Unit H