Title: Stuart Oregon History Collection,
Date (inclusive): 1844-1937
Collection number: Mss223
Reginald R. Stuart
Extent: 0.3 linear ft.
University of the Pacific. Library. Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections
Shelf location: For current information on the location of these
materials, please consult the library's online catalog.
Collection is open for research.
[Identification of item], Stuart Oregon History Collection, Mss223, Holt-Atherton
Department of Special Collections, University of the Pacific Library
Reginald R. Stuart (1882-1975) was a California realtor, teacher, historian, book
collector and author. From 1956 until 1965 he was Director of the California History
Foundation and the Center for Western Studies at the University of the Pacific. He
published How Firm a Foundation; a centennial history of the First Methodist Church, San
Leandro, California (1953), A History of the Fred Finch Children's Home, oldest Methodist
home for children in California (1955), Tully Knoles of Pacific (1956), Calvin B. West of
the Umpqua (1961), and Corridor Country: An Interpretive History of the Amador-Livermore
Stuart had a lifelong interest in Oregon history and apparently collected items related
to this interest over many years. The materials in this collection constitute a random
assortment of business and personal papers, including correspondence, bills of sale,
deeds, work orders, stock certificates, receipts, and a biographical sketch. These
materials date from 1844 to 1937, although the majority predate 1870.
In 1958, during his tenure as Director of the Center for Western Studies, Reginald Stuart
donated over 20,000 items to the University of the Pacific Libraries. These materials
were a small portion of that donation.