Scope and Contents Note
Collection Title: J. Lloyd Conrich Collection,
Date (inclusive): ca. 1930-1965
Collection Number: 19XX-14
Conrich, J. Lloyd, 1903-1893
Extent: 5 boxes
Environmental Design Archives.
University of California, Berkeley.
Abstract: The collection consists of architectural drawings, photographs, and clippings primarily documenting Conrich's architectural
Collection is open for research.
All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from materials in the collection should be discussed with the
[Identification of item], J. Lloyd Conrich Collection, (19XX-14), Environmental Design Archives. University of California,
Berkeley. Berkeley, California.
Provenance of the collection is unclear.
J. Lloyd Conrich (1903-1983)
J. Lloyd Conrich was a native of San Francisco who by the age of 12 had decided upon architecture as a future profession.
A graduate of the University of California, Berkeley, Conrich started his career in 1919 as an office boy for a local architect
and worked in the offices of Hyman & Appleton (1924-1927) Bakewell & Brown (1930-1932) and N.H. Nishkian (1941-1942). By 1943
he had established his own business, and was associated with city of San Francisco architect for years.
Conrich specialized in office buildings and light construction designs. Among his designs were banks, gas stations, warehouses,
theatres, stores, cocktail lounges, apartment buildings, and San Francisco row houses. These projects include Telegraph Hill
Tower (San Francisco), a double deck parking garage on Broadway and Montgomery (1954), San Francisco Produce Terminal (1964),
KSFO and KPIX Radio and TV Center Station on Van Ness, Zanzibar Cocktail Lounge on Ocean Ave., and the City of Vallejo bowling
alley. Between 1940 to mid 1960 he had become known as an expert in the design of low cost housing adaptable in 25' to 50'
city lots, and getting the most out of such limited space. Among his small lot housing projects was his own 2-flat apartment
in San Francisco.
In addition to his career as an architect, Conrich dedicated over 50 years of his life to serving as a volunteer for Boy Scouts
of America. He served as chairman of the local Jewish Committee on Scouting, which led him to design the Jewish Chapel at
the Scouting Council Camp.
Scope and Contents Note
The J. Lloyd Conrich collection consists of selected records from over 180 clipbooks. Original materials contained in these
records include architectural drawings and photographs, primarily documenting Conrich's own architectural work. These are
arranged according to their original order, alphabetically by subject. The collection also contains magazine and newspaper
clippings, various post cards from all over the world, and handmade greeting cards. The folders are numbered according to
the original binder numbers.