Scope and Content
Title: Jackson County (Ore.) Records,
Date (inclusive): 1853-1891
Collection number: Mss7
Reginald R. Stuart
Extent: 1 linear ft.
University of the Pacific. Library. Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections
Shelf location: For current information on the location of these
materials, please consult the library's online catalog.
Collection is open for research.
[Identification of item], Jackson County (Ore.) Records, Mss7, Holt-Atherton Department
of Special Collections, University of the Pacific Library
Sachs Brothers Dry Goods (Jacksonville, Ore.)
Anderson & Glenn Dry Goods (Jacksonville, Ore.)
Comstock & Cawley Livery Stables (Jacksonville, Ore.)
Merchants -Oregon -Jackson County
Roads -Oregon -Jackson County
Elections -Oregon -Jackson County
Jackson County (Ore.) -History -Sources
Oregon -History -Sources
Jackson County (Ore.) is the southernmost county in that state. Apart from the Rogue
River Valley, a region well-suited to deciduous orchard crops, it is largely mountainous,
forested terrain. The county, one of the last in Oregon to be settled, was organized
(1852) following a gold strike. Its 19th century county seat was Jacksonville, near the
present-day city of Medford. Most of the documents in this collection bear the signatures
of long-time County Treasurer, David Linn (1855-1867), or of one of two early County
Clerks, William Hoffman (1860-1866) and W.H. Hyde (1867-1870). Local businesses such as:
J.A. Brunner, Sachs Bros. and Anderson & Glenn [dry goods]; T.S. Pomeroy, Henry Denlinger
and B.F. Dowell [printers]; and, Comstock & Cawley Livery Stables are frequently
represented by bills for goods delivered. Many early residents are named in lists of road
crews and delinquent taxpayers.
Scope and Content
This collection of Jackson County records consists of about 1600 items formerly held by
the County Clerk's Office. They include licences, bills, receipts and certificates
pertaining to ferries, peddling, road building, elections and liquor sales (1853-1891).