Scope and Content
Title: Mountain View House (Peregoy Meadows, Calif.) Hotel Register,
Date (inclusive): 1869-1878
Collection number: Mss166
Extent: 0.5 linear ft.
University of the Pacific. Library. Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections
Shelf location: For current information on the location of these
materials, please consult the library's online catalog.
Collection is open for research.
[Identification of item], Mountain View House (Peregoy Meadows, Calif.) Hotel Register,
Mss166, Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections, University of the Pacific
Born in Baltimore (1826) Charles Peregoy came to California in search of gold (1849). He
engaged in mining in Calaveras and Mariposa counties. Sometime in the 1850's Peregoy
bought a ranch at Mormon Bar about two miles from the town of Mariposa. Shortly after
Charles Peregoy made the final payment on the Mormon Bar ranch, John C. Fremont claimed
the land as part of his Mexican land grant and demanded that Peregoy pay him rent on his
property. The latter refused and took the case to court where it was litigated for
seventeen years before finally being settled in Peregoy's favor. Faced with the possibly
of losing his property, he decided to concentrate on stock raising rather than making
costly improvements on the land. During the summer months Peregoy drove his cattle
through Mormon Bar, past Clark's Station (Wawona) and up toward Glacier Point to the spot
later known as Peregoy Meadows. Here he established a cattle camp and lived with his wife
and five children during the summer.
In the late 1860's tourist travel into Yosemite increased considerably. Tourists could
travel by stage as far as White and Hatch's mill on Chowchilla Mountain. They made the
remainder of the trip on horseback as there was then no roads into the Valley. Tourists
took the trail from White and Hatch's to Clark's Station, where they stopped to visit the
Big Trees. The next day they usually rode to Inspiration Point then down to the Valley
floor. The trail led past the Peregoy cattle camp and many weary travelers stopped to ask
for food or a night's lodging, so Charles and Mary decided to put up a small hotel,
called Mountain View House (1869). This consisted of two buildings with accommodations
for sixteen people. Mountain View House ceased to be important as an overnight stopping
place when wagon roads from Coulterville, Big Oak Flat, and Wawona were completed (1875).
Charles Peregoy died in Mariposa (1904) at the age of 78. The inn was not used after 1919
and was dismantled by a Civil Conservation Corps crew during the 1930s. The location of
the fireplace is still barely visible. See Pacific Historian vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 123-128.
"Charles and Mary Agnes Peregoy--Yosemite Pioneers" by Bea Peregoy (Great-Granddaughter).
Scope and Content
Photocopy of original hotel register, unpaginated, bound volume of approximately 207
pages with preface and copies of two photographs. The register has also been microfilmed
and is held by the University of the Pacific and the University of California. The Hotel
Register is first addressed "To Chas. E. Peregoy, from his friends Geo B. Bayley &
Clinton Day. June, 1870. First entries are signed by them on June 11, 1870. However the
second page lists entries for September 10, 1869 and June 3, 1870. An estimated 5,000
guests enjoyed Peregoy's hospitality. Inn visitors came from throughout the United States
and twenty-two foreign countries. Famous guests included Mark Hopkins, De Witt Talmage,
Joaquin Miller, Asa Gray, Horace Greeley, and John Muir. Many guests made comments about
their sightseeing and the views, expressed appreciation of the guides, wrote poems about
the hotel, or disparaging remarks about hotels in the valley. The last guests
registered at Mountain View House on October 24, 1874. Nearly four years later, in June
1878, the final entries were made in the hotel register by members of the "Dr. Dio Lewis