Finding Aid for the Los Angeles State Normal School. Board of Trustees. Minutes of meetings. 1887-1919.
Processed by UCLA University Archives Staff; S. Roud and P. Sevilla, 1988 Feb; finding aid revised by UCLA University Archives Staff, 2006 Jun; Katharine A. Lawrie, 2013 Mar; machine-readable finding aid created by Caroline Cubé.
UCLA University Archives© 1988
21560 Young Research Library
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
Title: Los Angeles State Normal School. Board of Trustees. Minutes of meetings.
Date (inclusive): 1887/1919
Record Series number: 1
Creator: Los Angeles State Normal School
Extent: 2 boxes (0.8 linear feet)
Abstract: Record Series 1 contains minutes of the Board of Trustees meeting, Los Angeles State Normal School, dating from 1887-1919.
Language: Finding aid is written in English.
Language of the Material: Materials are in English.
Repository: University of California, Los Angeles. University Archives.
Los Angeles, California 90095-1575
Physical location: Stored off-site at SRLF. Advance notice is required for access to the collection. Please contact UCLA Library Special Collections for paging information.
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library Special Collections Reference Desk for paging information.
Copyright of portions of this collection has been assigned to The Regents of the University of California. The UCLA University Archives can grant permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish or quote must be submitted in writing to the UCLA University Archivist.
[Identification of item], Los Angeles State Normal School. Board of Trustees. Minutes of meetings. (Record Series Number 1). UCLA Library Special Collections, University Archives, Charles E. Young Research Library, UCLA.
Due to a growing demand for trained teachers and limited space at the State Normal School in San Jose, a second State Normal School was established in Los Angeles in 1881. On March 14, 1881, California Senate Bill 187-an Act to establish a Branch State Normal School in Los Angeles was signed into law by Governor George C. Perkins. The first section of the legislation stipulated that, "There shall be established in the County of Los Angeles a school, to be called the Branch State Normal School of California, for the training and educating of teachers in the art of instructing and governing in the public schools of this state." By 1913 there were six locations of the California State Normal School system including San Jose, Los Angeles, Chico.
In 1919, an act of legislation made the Los Angeles branch part of the University of California. The other branches of the State Normal School system form what is now the California State University system.
The specific powers and duties of the Los Angeles State Normal School (LASNS) Board of Trustees were as follows:
- 1. to elect a Secretary
- 2. to prescribe rules for their own government, and for the government of the school
- 3. to prescribe rules for the reports of officers and teachers of the schools, and for visiting schools and institutes
- 4. to provide for the purchase of school apparatus, furniture, stationery, and textbooks for the use of the pupils
- 5. to establish and maintain training or model schools, and require the pupils of the Normal School to teach and instruct classes therein
- 6. to elect a Principal and other necessary teachers, fix their salaries, and prescribe their duties
- 7. to issue diplomas of graduation upon the recommendation of the Faculty of the school
- 8. to control and expend all moneys appropriated for the support and maintenance of the school, and all money received from tuition or from donations
- 9. to cause a record of all their proceedings to be kept, which shall be open to public inspection at the school
- 10. to keep, open to public inspection, an account of receipts and expenditures
- 11. to annually report to the Governor a statement of all their transactions, and of all matters pertaining to the school
- 12. to transmit with such report a copy of the principal teacher's annual report
- 13. to revoke any diploma by them granted, on receiving satisfactory evidence that the holder thereof is addicted to drunkenness, is guilty of gross immorality, or is reputedly dishonest in his dealings.
As mandated by the legislature, each Board of Trustees of the California State Normal Schools held two regular meetings every year. In addition, they also held special meetings, at the call of the Secretary, when directed by the Chairman. Joint meetings of the Boards of Trustees were also held, at least once in each school year, alternately, at the different State Normal Schools. It was required that the first meeting be held at San Jose, and thereafter at the other Normal Schools.
Record Series 1 contains minutes of the Board of Trustees meeting, Los Angeles State Normal School, dating from 1887-1919. The collection includes an index to the minutes and is arranged chronologically.
This is an inactive record series; no additional University records are expected to be added.
The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.
State Normal School, Los Angeles (Calif.)
Board of Trustees. Minutes. August 1904-July 1919.
Physical Description: 3.0 volumes