Finding Aid for the Stevens House. Administrative files. 1949-1988.

Finding aid prepared by University Archives staff' Vivian Wong, 1997 Apr 28; finding aid revised by Katharine A. Lawrie, 2013 Jan; machine-readable finding aid created by Katharine A. Lawrie and Caroline Cubé, 2013 Jun.
UCLA Library Special Collections
Room A1713, Charles E. Young Research Library
Box 951575
Los Angeles, CA, 90095-1575
(310) 825-4988
spec-coll@library.ucla.edu
©1997 Apr 28


Title: Stevens House. Administrative files.
Identifier/Call Number: University Archives Record Series 504
Contributing Institution: UCLA Library Special Collections
Language of Material: English
Physical Description: 0.8 linear ft. (2 boxes)
Date: 1949-1988
Abstract: Record Series 504 contains administrative files created by the Stevens House, a cooperative residence that offered affordable housing for women and minority women studying at UCLA. Materials include: correspondence; Stevens Board and student council meeting minutes; resident applications and contracts; and other textual records documenting the daily operations and activities of the house, its House Directors and residents.
Creator: Stevens House. 1949-1988

Access

COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library Special Collections Reference Desk for paging information.

Publication Rights

Copyright has not been assigned to the UCLA University Archives. All requests for permission to publish or quote from the records must be submitted in writing to the University Archivist. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the UCLA University Archives as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Stevens House. Administrative files (University Archives Record Series 504). UCLA Library Special Collections, University Archives.

Historical Note

Stevens House was founded in 1948 and dedicated in the memory of Bishop William Bertrand Stevens, the head of the Protestant Episcopal Diocese of Los Angeles from 1928 to 1947. It was an undertaking of the Intercultural Committee of the University Religious Conference at UCLA where Bishop Stevens served as President. Stevens House was a low-cost cooperative residence dormitory for UCLA undergraduate women. Its purpose was to provide housing to women and minority women attending UCLA who could not get campus housing elsewhere. It was one the first institutions in Los Angeles to practice integration in education, providing an interracial and multicultural living environment for women at UCLA.
The first Stevens House was located at 1411 South Westgate Avenue in Los Angeles. The UCLA University Religious Conference operated the house until 1958; and in 1959, it sold the property to the non-profit Stevens House Corporation who operated the house through its Board of Directors. In 1959, the house moved to 820 Levering Avenue in Westwood. In 1972, it relocated to 638 Landfair Avenue. In 1992, the Board voted to close Stevens House and sold it with the profits donated to the UCLA Foundation to establish the Stevens House Scholarship.

Scope and Content

Record Series 504 contains administrative files created by the Stevens House, a cooperative residence that offered affordable housing for women and minority women studying at UCLA. Materials include: correspondence; Stevens Board and student council meeting minutes; resident applications and contracts; and other textual records documenting the daily operations and activities of the house, its House Directors and residents.
This is an inactive record series; no additional University records are expected to be added.

Box 1

"History of Stevens House". 1959-1969.

Box 1

Clippings. 1965-1982; n.d.

Box 1

Correspondence - UCLA policies. 1957; 1968-1970; 1973.

Box 1

Correspondence. 1962-1988; n.d.

Extent: 12 folders
Box 1

Forms and form letters. 1970-1985.

Box 1

Fundraising projects. 1965-1975.

Box 1

House inventories. 1973-1974; n.d.

Box 1

House Mother's contract. ca. 1970.

Box 1

Interfraternity meetings - Chaplin's invocation. 1968-1969; n.d.

Box 1

Invitations, stationary, and brochures. 1967-1987; n.d.

Box 1

Letters from residents. 1966-1972; 1979.

Box 1

Mailing list form - Stevens House Board. n.d.

Box 1

Minutes - Board meetings. 1952-1988; n.d.

Extent: 7 folders
Box 1

Minutes - Budget/Finance committee. 1962; 1976; 1983.

Box 1

Minutes - Student Council. 1949-1955.

Box 1

Minutes - Student Meetings. 1960-1962; 1969; 1971-1974; n.d.

Extent: 3 folders
Box 1

Minutes, Newsletter - UCLA organizations. 1949; 1963; 1969.

Box 1

Rosters - Stevens House Board of Directors. 1959-1983; n.d.

Box 1

Rosters - Stevens House residents. 1951-1973; n.d.

Box 1

Rules and responsibilities. 1969-1987.

Box 1

Stevens House Song. n.d.

Box 1

Substitutes. 1976.

Box 1

Telephone list of businesses. 1973; n.d.

Box 2

Applications and contracts - Residents. 1969-1972.

Box 2

Applications and contracts - Residents. 1982-1985.

Box 2

Applications for residence. 1963-1975.

Extent: 4 folders
Box 2

Contracts - Residents. 1973-1974; n.d.

Box 2

Guest books. 1967-1972; 1975-1976; 1985.

Extent: 2 folders
Box 2

House Director's notebook - Financial records. 1988-1989.

Extent: 3 folders
Box 2

Menu and shopping suggestions. 1969.

Box 2

Menus. 1969; 1973; n.d.

Extent: 2 folders
Box 2

Repair lists. 1965-1969.

Box 2

Requests for applications. 1969-1974.

Extent: 10 folders
Box 2

Residents - Forwarding addresses. 1974.

Box 2

Residents - Records of deposits. 1963-1975.

Extent: 3 folders
Box 2

Room assignments. 1968-1969; 1974.

Extent: 2 folders
Box 2

Work schedules and jobs. 1970-1974; n.d.

Extent: 3 folders