Contains correspondence files, budget materials, records of departmental meetings, material re research projects, instructional
Includes records from the chairmanships of E.P. Lewis, E.E. Hall, R.T. Birge and C. Helmholz.
The Department of Physics is as old as the University. The first professor of physics, John LeConte, was the first person
elected to the original faculty (November 17, 1868). From 1876 to 1881 he also served as President of the University.
8 boxes (8 linear ft.)
Copyright has not been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts
must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft
Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which
must also be obtained by the reader.
Collection is open for research.