Louis Christian Mullgardt Collection, 1907-1927

Processed by the Archives Staff; machine-readable finding aid created by Archives Staff and the Electronic Text Unit Staff
Environmental Design Archives
College of Environmental Design
230 Wurster Hall #1820
University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, California, 94720-1820
Phone: (510) 642-5124
Fax: (510) 642-2824
Email: archives@socrates.berkeley.edu
http://www.ced.berkeley.edu/cedarchives/
© 2000
The Regents of California. All rights reserved.

Note

Arts and Humanities--Architecture History--California History--Bay Area History History--California History Geographical (By Place)--California Geographical (By Place)--California--Bay Area

Louis Christian Mullgardt Collection, 1907-1927

Collection Number: 1952-2

Environmental Design Archives



University of California, Berkeley

Berkeley, California

Contact Information:

  • Environmental Design Archives
  • College of Environmental Design
  • 230 Wurster Hall #1820
  • University of California, Berkeley
  • Berkeley, California, 94720-1820
  • Phone: (510) 642-5124
  • Fax: (510) 642-2824
  • Email: archives@socrates.berkeley.edu
  • URL: http://www.ced.berkeley.edu/cedarchives/
Processed by:
Archives Staff
Date Completed:
March 1999
Encoded by:
Archives Staff
Funding:
Arrangement and description of this collection was funded by a grant from the Getty Foundation.
© 1999 The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

Descriptive Summary

Collection Title: Louis Christian Mullgardt Collection,
Date (inclusive): 1907-1927
Collection Number: 1952-2
Creator: Mullgardt, Louis Christian, 1866-1942
Extent: 1 half box, 1 flat file drawer
Repository: Environmental Design Archives.
University of California, Berkeley.
Berkeley, California.
Abstract: The collection documents a small number of commercial and residential projects.
Language: English.

Administrative Information

Access

Collection is open for research.

Publication Rights

All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from materials in the collection should be discussed with the Curator.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], Louis Christian Mullgardt Collection, (1952-2), Environmental Design Archives. University of California, Berkeley. Berkeley, California.

Acquisition Information

The collection is comprised of numerous individual donations, made in 1952, 1970, and 1989.

Access Points

Architects--California.
Architecture--California.
Panama-Pacific International Exposition (1915 : San Francisco, Calif.)

Biography

Louis Christian Mullgardt (1866-1942)
Louis Christian Mullgardt was born in Washington, Missouri in 1866. While he was raised and worked for many years in the Midwest, his most influential designs were in the San Francisco Bay Area. At fifteen years old, Mullgardt apprenticed with architectural firms in St. Louis. Six years later, he went to work for the firm of Shepley, Rutan, and Coolidge in Brookline, Massachusetts, where he worked on plans for Stanford University. In 1889, Mullgardt enrolled as a special student at Harvard College for a brief period of formal training that was cut short by. By 1891, he was back to work in Chicago for Henry Ives Cobb, where Mullgardt was recognized for his versatile design skills.
Mullgardt formed his first partnership--Stewart, McClure, and Mullgardt--in Chicago in 1892, and the firm lasted for two years. He then went on a year long European tour. In 1899 he formed a short-lived partnership with John M. Dunham. From 1903 to 1904 Mullgardt worked as a structural consultant in England, where he encountered the Arts and Crafts style. In 1905, Mullgardt arrived in San Francisco and opened his own office in early 1906. He designed houses in the Oakland and Piedmont Hills. These were mainly speculative houses of frame construction. He also designed houses in Mill Valley and the Berkeley Hills. His synthesis of residential styles was considered appropriately Californian.
In addition to houses, Mullgardt designed the San Francisco Juvenile Court and Detention Home (1914-1916), a 9-story reinforced concrete building, and the Durant School in Oakland. In 1912, Mullgardt was appointed to the board of the Panama Pacific International Exposition. For the Exposition, he designed the "Court of the Ages," an ornate courtyard that included an "altar tower" on one side. Mullgardt designed the President's house for Stanford University (1915-1918), the M. H. de Young Memorial Museum in Golden Gate Park (1916-1921), and a block-long business center in Honolulu (1919-1921). After a world tour in 1922-1923, Mullgardt returned to San Francisco. It was a difficult period, and he did not adapt well to the new architectural trends. Mullgardt died in a state hospital in Stockton, California, in 1942. Most of his drawings were reputedly destroyed after his death.

Scope and Contents Note

The Louis Christian Mullgardt collection consists of specifications and drawings for the Evans residence in Mill Valley, drawings and a photograph of the Court of the Ages (from the Panama Pacific International Exposition), drawings of a commercial building in Honolulu, and photographs of an unidentified residence in Piedmont, California. The collection also includes photographs and photocopies of specifications and correspondence for the Stevens residence in San Jose. These documents are reference copies of privately held materials, and the Environmental Design Archives does not hold copyright on the records.
The Mullgardt collection is comprised of numerous individual donations. Records of the Evans residence were donated in 1952 and 1970, and the Stevens residence materials were donated in 1989.