Guide to the College of Engineering records, 1906-1954

Processed by The Bancroft Library staff
University Archives.
The Bancroft Library
University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, California, 94720-6000
Phone: (510) 642-2933
Fax: (510) 642-7589
Email: uarchive@library.berkeley.edu
URL: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/BANC/UARC
© 1999
The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

Guide to the College of Engineering Records, 1906-1954

Collection number: CU-39

University Archives, The Bancroft Library



University of California, Berkeley

Berkeley, California

Contact Information:

  • University Archives
  • The Bancroft Library
  • University of California, Berkeley
  • Berkeley, California, 94720-6000
  • Phone: (510) 642-2933
  • Fax: (510) 642-7589
  • Email: uarchive@library.berkeley.edu
  • URL: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/BANC/UARC/
Processed by:
The Bancroft Library staff
Encoded by:
Xiuxhi Zhou
© 1999 The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

Collection Summary

Collection Title: College of Engineering Records,
Date (inclusive): 1906-1954
Collection Number: CU-39
Creator: University of California, Berkeley. College of Engineering
Extent: 11 boxes (11 linear ft.)
Repository: The Bancroft Library. University Archives.
Berkeley, California 94720-6000
Physical Location: For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Abstract: Correspondence, administrative and committee files; reports of the Department of Civil Engineering, 1906-1944; materials re the Navy V-12 and Army Special Training Programs, 1943-1945; Institute of Engineering Research files, 1949-1953; files on Works Progress Administration projects, 1935-1941; Department of Mechanical Engineering files, 1946-1953; account books and day books of the Summer School of Surveying, 1902-1914.
Languages Represented: English

Information for Researchers

Access

Collection is open for research.

Publication Rights

Copyright has not been assigned to The Bancroft Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Head of Public Services. Permission for publication is given on behalf of The Bancroft Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by the reader.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], College of Engineering records, CU-39, University Archives, The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley.

Brief History

College of Engineering

The Charter of the University provided for the establishment of Colleges of Mechanics, Civil Engineering, and Mining, in addition to Colleges of Agriculture and Letters. The present College of Engineering has evolved from the early technical colleges, with the combination of the Colleges of Mechanics and of Civil Engineering into a College of Engineering in 1931 and with the College of Mining becoming part of the College of Engineering in 1942. Separate disciplines were added as engineering developed and expanded, giving the present form of the college structure in Departments of Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mineral Technology, Naval Architecture, and Nuclear Engineering.
Early study in the technical colleges was a combination of the science and art of engineering with humanities and foreign language. But the practice of engineering was not neglected. The staff and students installed most of the college's machinery and facilities and contributed to the development of campus equipment. Joseph N. LeConte was appointed assistant professor in the College of Mechanics in 1892 and later professor of mechanical engineering, serving until his retirement in 1937. He wrote of the 1890-1900 period when the only local electrical power was generated in the engineering laboratory: “Our library (Bacon Hall) had never been lighted at night....Authority was granted to set a line of poles from the Electrical Laboratory to the Library and South Hall....On these were strung the wires of the `power circuit' and the single loop of wire for arc lamps.... The lighting service on the grounds consisted of about 10 open arc lamps in series.... This string of antediluvian arc lamps was the bane of Cory's (Professor Clarence L. Cory, for whom Cory Hall is named) and my existence, and we often made nocturnal trips around the circuit to see if all were in operation. I remember one night when President Kellogg was giving his annual reception, three lamps went out of action at critical locations, so that we in our dress suits climbed the poles and got them going while on our way to the reception.”
Engineering has kept pace with the growth and development of the campus, having approximately 3,000 students now enrolled in the college. About 1,200 are graduate students. The first engineering bachelor's degree was granted in 1873 in the College of Civil Engineering, the first master's degree in 1896, and the first doctoral degree in 1894. Through June of 1965, the college and its antecedents granted 17,187 bachelor's, 3,338 master's, and 506 doctoral degrees. Engineering alumni have made a substantial contribution to the development of the state and the nation. The college staff continues to maintain leadership in engineering instruction, in important research, and as consultants with government and private agencies in all areas of engineering.
As a result of the increased research tasks during the early 1940's which were supported by off-campus agencies, the college established the Institute of Engineering Research in 1948, which is now the Office of Research Services of the college. Expenditures on presently sponsored research activities average over $6 million a year. These activities are directed by staff members, manned largely by graduate students, administered by the Office of Research Services, and much of the work is done with facilities located at the Richmond Field Station.
Engineering at Berkeley provides active staff participation and supervision in the Engineering Extension course and conference programs of service to the people of the state. At present, approximately 2,500 extension students each year are continuing their education through this service administered at Berkeley. Engineering Extension also assists with the administration of other special technical conferences and meetings which are arranged by engineering staff members.
The present dean of the college, George Maslach, follows a long line of notable leaders in the field of engineering education, application, development, and research: Deans Frank Soulé (civil, 1896-1907), Friedrich G. Hesse (mechanics, 1896-1901), Samuel B. Christy (mining, 1896-1914), Clarence L. Cory (mechanics, 1901-29), Andrew C. Lawson (mining, 1914-18), Charles Derleth, Jr. (civil, 1907-29 and engineering, 1929-42), Frank H. Probert (mining, 1918-40), Lester C. Uren (mining, acting, 1940-41), Donald H. McLaughlin (mining, 1941-42, and engineering, 1942-43), Morrough P.O'Brien (engineering, 1943-59), and John R. Whinnery (engineering, 1959-63). Each has added to the stature and eminence of the college.—H. W. Iversen

Electrical Engineering

In 1875, when President Daniel Coit Gilman appointed Frederick G. Hesse to head the College of Mechanics, only North Hall and South Hall had been built. Hesse started his work in a single room in North Hall, giving lectures only, since no facilities as yet existed for laboratory or shop work. The first student was graduated from the College of Mechanics in 1874. In 1878, the first Mining and Mechanic Arts Building (later renamed the Civil Engineering Building) was completed. In 1893, Hesse selected Clarence Linus Cory to be assistant professor of mechanical and electrical engineering. Immediately, Cory, Joseph A. Sladky, superintendent of the machine shops, and Joseph Nisbet LeConte, instructor in mechanical engineering, concentrated on plans for electrical laboratories in the new Mechanics Building, then under construction. Upon its completion in 1894, Cory and LeConte, largely with student help, installed electrical equipment surpassed by few, if any, universities in the country. Research started immediately.
In 1901, Cory was made dean of the College of Mechanics and for more than a generation was recognized as a farsighted and vigorous leader in his profession. Cory Hall, which now houses the Department of Electrical Engineering, was named in his honor. After his retirement in 1930, the Colleges of Mechanics and Civil Engineering were combined to form the College of Engineering, containing the Department of Civil Engineering and the Department of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. In 1931, the latter department was split into the separate Departments of Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering. In 1942, the Colleges of Engineering and Mining merged to form a single administrative unit, the College of Engineering, and a single academic unit, the Department of Engineering, with the various fields, such as electrical engineering, known as divisions. In 1958, the Division of Electrical Engineering again became the Department of Electrical Engineering.
The original electrical engineering curriculum was rigidly prescribed, including chemistry, physics, mathematics, English, German, shop work in machine tools and pattern making, mechanical drawing, descriptive geometry, analytic mechanics, kinematics, strength of materials, thermodynamics, hydraulics, surveying, and electrical machines. Until the middle 1920's, this curriculum changed very little, except for the elimination of the language requirements and their replacement by free electives. Then the growing importance of communications and electronics forced the elimination of the shop courses and surveying and the establishment of power and communications options. Recent scientific and technological developments, such as automation, computers, solid-state, quantum-electronic and micro-electronic devices, and the growing importance of bioelectronics, plasmas, magnetohydrodynamics, and sophisticated systems for transmission and analysis of information and for optimal control, resulted in the establishment of four options in electrical engineering, allowing the student to follow an integrated sequence of courses in his major field of interest and still find time for cultural courses.
Approximately 3,800 B.S. degrees, 850 M.S. degrees, and more than 150 Ph.D. degrees have been granted in electrical engineering, with 91 Ph.D. degrees awarded since 1960. Full-time graduate enrollment in electrical engineering is now 340, with undergraduates (juniors and seniors) numbering 466. The electrical engineering faculty, excluding teaching fellows and research assistants, numbers 76. The large increase in graduate study and research is largely due to the establishment of the Electronics Research Laboratory, which handles research contracts with the federal and state governments and with private industry for the department. Today, over 200 of the electrical engineering graduate students receive substantial financial aid from fellowships or teaching or research assistantships.—Lester E. Reukema

Civil Engineering

Civil Engineering was one of the six original colleges of the University; its inclusion was in accordance with the University's purposes as a land-grant institution. From 1869 to 1930, it operated as the College of Civil Engineering; in 1930, civil engineering and irrigation (which had been established in 1901) became departments of a newly established College of Engineering. The two then became separate divisions of the Department of Engineering in 1947, a combined Division of Civil Engineering and Irrigation in 1951, and finally a combined Department of Civil Engineering in 1958. In 1958, Divisions of Hydraulic and Sanitary Engineering, Structural Engineering and Structural Mechanics, and Transportation Engineering (recently created under separate organization) were established in the department. Thus, the present (1965) organization of the Department of Civil Engineering incorporates not only civil engineering as originally established, but also irrigation and transportation, as well as hydraulics (which until 1958 had been administered by mechanical engineering). Closely associated with civil engineering is the Institute of Transportation and Traffic Engineering, founded by legislative act in 1947.
Enrollment in civil engineering was fairly constant, averaging about 50 students a semester in the early decades of the University's existence, but a few years after the turn of the century enrollment tripled. It then grew slowly to about 250 students in 1930, increased to 400 in 1940, and was 500 in 1957, just before the lower division was transferred to general engineering. At that time there were about 300 upper division and 100 graduate students in civil engineering; now (1965) there are about 200 upper division and 300 graduate students. The faculty has grown correspondingly to its present number of about 40 professors and ten lecturers, plus the necessary teaching assistants.
In the early years the principal instruction was in undergraduate courses in surveying, mapping, properties of materials, structural design, and structures such as buildings, bridges, dams, and water-supply and sewerage systems. Now there are some 50 upper-division courses and a larger number of graduate courses, with elective groups in construction engineering, hydraulic and water-resources engineering, sanitary engineering, soil mechanics and foundation engineering, structural engineering, structural mechanics, and surveying-geodesy-photogrammetry.
As in other branches of engineering, laboratory work is an important feature of teaching and research in civil engineering. There are organized laboratories with staff and facilities in the fields of bituminous materials and pavements, engineering (construction) materials, hydraulics, photogrammetry, sanitary chemistry, soil mechanics, and structures. The facilities are located on the Berkeley campus and at the Richmond Field Station, a large proportion of the six engineering buildings on the campus being devoted to laboratories. For many years civil engineering conducted an annual summer surveying camp, essentially a field laboratory, but in 1943 the camp was discontinued because of war conditions. It has not been reinstated, in large part because of the shift in emphasis from manipulative skills to analysis, design, and research.—Joe W. Kelly

Mechanical Engineering

The Morrill Land Grant Act, passed by Congress in 1862, stipulated in part the establishment “...of at least one college where the leading object shall be...to teach such branches of learning as are related to agriculture and mechanic arts....” Of the four technical colleges established by the organic act of the University (1868), those of mechanics and agriculture were first organized. The Biennial report to the Regents of the University for 1873-75 states that the object of the College of Mechanics is to “educate mechanical engineers, machinists (as far as they are constructors of machinery) and others who wish to devote their energies to such technical and industrial pursuits as involve a knowledge of machinery.”
Instruction in electrical engineering was offered in 1892, and in 1903 the dean of the College of Mechanics served also as the chairman of the Department of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering.
By 1913, the curriculum in mechanical engineering had eliminated, through matriculation requirement or by deletion, sociohumanistic courses, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, freehand and mechanical drawing, and in their place added more mathematics and engineering. Electrical and mechanical engineering were identical except for one course, in each of the junior and senior years. With the industrial growth of California, attention was focused on hydraulics, electrical power, and hydroelectrical installations with course offerings in these fields. During World War I interest in aviation grew and shipyards were established on the Pacific coast. These developments created a demand for training for the war effort and establishing courses in aerodynamics, marine engineering and naval architecture.
The change in classroom instruction during the 20 years between World Wars I and II was a gradual withdrawal from emphasis on machine design, construction and performance evaluation to the application of the laws of nature to the evaluation of systems and their components. An extension of this approach has expanded the number of courses and the fields of study offered to such an area that several fields of study have split from the department to form other departments, while those remaining have been established as divisions of the department. Chronologically, the Department of Mechanical Engineering was established in 1931, designated as the Division of Mechanical Engineering in the Department of Engineering in 1946, and again returned to the status of the Department of Mechanical Engineering in 1958. The Division of Engineering Design separated from the Division of Mechanical Engineering in 1947. The Division of Industrial Engineering separated from mechanical engineering in 1956. The Departments of Nuclear Engineering and Naval Architecture became separate in 1958. The divisions organized in 1958 and constituting the Department of Mechanical Engineering are aeronautical sciences, applied mechanics, heat power systems (changed to thermal systems, 1965), and mechanical design.
The enrollment in the College of Mechanics grew steadily from the beginning of the University until it reached a maximum of 10.85 per cent (293 students) of the University undergraduate enrollment in 1908. In 1964, the enrollment was less than two per cent (299 students) of the University undergraduate enrollment.
The development of the laboratories paralleled the classroom instruction. The initial object was to demonstrate construction, maintenance, and operation of machinery. The second step reduced the vocational aspect somewhat and stressed the performance characteristics of the machine. In 1929, the woodshop and machine shop instruction was eliminated from the curriculum. The junior and senior laboratories stressed a broad concept of system analysis and developed a pattern to introduce the student to the critical approach desired in graduate research.
In December, 1940, a department-instituted survey in the San Diego, Los Angeles and San Francisco areas confirmed the desire of industry for assistance in training and up-grading employees in their engineering departments. With the sponsorship of the U.S. Office of Education instruction was begun in February, 1941, under the Engineering Defense Training program (EDT); however, it was soon apparent that its utility would be greatly increased by inclusion of science and management courses in production and supervision, hence instruction was given under Engineering Science Management Defense Training (ESMDT). From 1942 to 1945, the word “defense” was changed to “war,” and during this period a total of 151,202 men and women were trained for industrial occupations by the University. In addition, courses were also given for the Armed Forces.—S. A. Schaaf

Container List

 

Correspondence with colleges and universities, 1911-1928

box 1, folder 1

Arkansas, University of [1920-29]

folder 2

Arizona, University of [1916-29]

folder 3

California Polytechnic School [1913-18]

folder 4

California School of Technology, formerly Troop College [1919-26]

folder 5

Carnegie Institute of Technology, Schenley Park, Pittsburgh [1920]

folder 6

Case School of Applied Science [1913-17]

folder 7

Cinncinnati, University of [1915 & 1923]

folder 8

Colorado School of Mines [1917]

folder 9

Colorado, University of [1920]

folder 10

Columbia University [1917-25]

folder 11

Cornell University [1912-30]

folder 12

Delaware University [1919]

folder 13

Drexel Institute, Philadelphia

folder 14

Florida, University of [1923]

folder 15

Georgia School of Technology [1920-30]

folder 16

Harvard University [1915-21]

folder 17

Illinois, University of [1914-30]

folder 18

Idaho Technical Institute [1923]

folder 19

Idaho, University of [1915-27]

folder 20

Iowa State College [1913-27]

folder 21

Junior Colleges [1926-29]

folder 22

Kansas, University of [1915-30]

folder 23

Lehigh University [1915-25]

folder 24

Los Angeles Business College [1915]

folder 25

Maine, University of [1923]

folder 26

Maryland, University of [1922]

folder 27

Massachusetts Institute of Technology [1917-30]

folder 28

Michigan Agricultural College [1915]

folder 29

Michigan, University of [1917-30]

folder 30

Minnesota, University of [1915-29]

folder 31

Missouri, university of [1916]

folder 32

(University of) Missouri School of Mines [1917]

folder 33

“N” Miscellaneous [1914-29]

folder 34

Nebraska, University of [1919-28]

folder 35

Oklahoma, University of [1916-29]

folder 36

Oregon Agricultural College [1916-27]

folder 37

Oregon, University of [1916-20]

folder 38

Pennsylvania State College [1921]

folder 39

Pennsylvania, University of [1922-29]

folder 40

Pittsburgh, University of [1916-29]

folder 41

Polytechnic Institute, Brooklyn, N.Y. [1916]

folder 42

Princeton University [1919-30]

folder 43

Prudue University [1914-30]

folder 44

Queen's University [1920]

folder 45

Rice University [1912]

folder 46

Santa Clara University [1920-28]

folder 47

Southern California, University of [1913-30]

folder 48

Stanford University [1915-30]

folder 49

Syracuse University [1916-17]

folder 50

Texas, University of [1919-28]

folder 51

Trinity College [1924]

folder 52

Utah, University of [1921]

folder 53

Washington State College [1920-27]

folder 54

Washington, University of [1916-27]

folder 55

Wentworth Institute [1915-18]

folder 56

Wilmerding School of Industrial Arts [1923]

folder 57

Wisconsin, University of [1915-28]

folder 58

Worcester Polytechnic Institute [1915-30]

 

General correspondence, 1921-28

box 1, folder 59

“A” - “Am” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 59a

“An” - “Az” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 60

American Association of Engineers [1926-28]

folder 61

American Institute of Electrical Engineers [1914-28]

folder 62

American Radio Relay League [1926]

folder 63

American Society of Mechanical Engineers [1924-28]

folder 64

“Ba” Miscellaneous [1924-26]

folder 65

“Be” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 66

“Bi” & “Bl” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 67

“Bo” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 68

“Br” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 69

“Bu” - “Bz” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 70

“Ca” - “Cg” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 71

“Ch” - “Cn” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 72

“Co” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 73

“Cp” - “Cz” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 74

College Entrance Exam Board [1926]

folder 75

“Da” - “Dn” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 76

“Do” - “Dz” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 77

“E” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 78

“Fa” - “Fn” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 79

“Fo” - “Fz” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 80

“Ga” - “Gn” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 81

“Go” - “Gz” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 82

General Electric Company [1921-28]

box 2, folder 1

“Ha” - “Haq” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 2

“Har” - “Hd” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 3

“He” - “Hn” Miscellaneous [1924-27]

folder 4

“Ho” - “Ht” MIscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 5

“Hu” - “Hz” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 6

“I” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 7

Illuminating Engineering Society [1925-27]

folder 8

Industrial Research [1924]

folder 9

“J” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 10

“K” - “Kh” Miscellaneous [1924-26]

folder 11

“Ki” - “Kz” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 12

“L” - “Ld” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 13

“Le” - “Ln” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 14

“Lo” - “Lz” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 15

“Ma” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 16

“Mc” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 17

“Me” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 18

“Mi” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 19

“Mo” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 20

“Mu” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 21

“N” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 22

“O” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 23

Obonkhoff, Nicolai M. [1927]

folder 24

“Pa” - “Ph” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 25

“Pi” - “Pz” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 26

Pacific Fruit Express Company [1926]

folder 27

Pacific Telephone and Telegraph [1923-28]

folder 28

“Q” Miscellaneous [1924-26]

folder 29

“Ra” - “Rh” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 30

“Ri” - “Rz” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 31

“Sa” - “Sb” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 32

“Sc” - “Sg” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 33

“Sh” - “Sl” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 34

“Sm” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 35

“Sn” - “Ss” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 36

“St” - “Sz” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 37

San Francisco Chamber of Commerce [1926-28]

folder 38

San Francisco (city & county of) Test on Lamps [1925]

folder 39

Society of Automotive Engineers [1923-28]

folder 40

“Ta” - “Th” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 41

“Ti” - “Tz” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 42

“U” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 43

United States [1924-28]

folder 44

U.S. Naval Distrist-12th (cruise for students) [1926-28]

folder 45

“V” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 46

“Wa” - “Wd” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 47

“We” - “Wg” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 48

“Wh” - “Wn” Miscellaneous [1924-28]

folder 49

“Wo” - “Wz” Miscellaneous [1921-28]

folder 50

Westinghouse Electric & Manufacturing Company [1921-28]

folder 51

“Y” Miscellaneous [1923-28]

folder 52

“Z” Miscellaneous [1923-26]

 

Administrative files, 1921-1931

box 3, folder 1

A (General File) [1930-31]

folder 2

Advance Advising and Enrollment, 1939 [- 1943]

 

Aeronautics

folder 3

Aeronautical Meeting - Program [1931-33]

folder 4

Aeronautical Meeting - Publicityand Arrangements [1932]

folder 5

Aeronautics [1922-30]

 

American...

folder 6

American Engineering Council [1921-31]

folder 7

American Gas Association (see Pacific Gas Association) [1920-24]

folder 8

American Institute of Electrical Engineers [1929-31]

folder 9

American Society of Mechanical Engineers [1930-31]

 

Applications for Faculty Positions

folder 10

Applications for Faculty Positions, Mechanical Engineering #1 [1931-32]

folder 11

Applications for Faculty Positions, M.E. #2 [1931]

folder 12

Applications for Faculty Positions, M.E. #3 [1927-30]

folder 13

Applications for Faculty Positions, Miscellaneous [1923-31]

folder 14

Applications for Faculty Positions, Electrical Engineering #1 [1930-31]

folder 15

Applications for Faculty Positions, E.E. #2 [1927-29]

folder 16

B (General File) [1929-31]

 

Buildings

folder 17

Buildings, New Engineering [1926-31]

folder 18

Hesse Hall (Mechanics Laboratory) [1921-28]

folder 19

Mechanics Building [1924-30]

box 4, folder 1

C (General File) [1929-31]

folder 2

Civil Engineering, Dept. of [#2, 1930-33]

folder 3

Civil Engineering, Dept. of [#1, 1921-29]

 

Committees

folder 4

Committee on Correlation of Work in Electrical Engineering [1928-31]

folder 5

Committees - Board of Research [1931-32]

folder 6

Curricula - Data and Correspondence [1930-31]

folder 7

Dean's Executive Committee [1931-33]

folder 8

Executive Committee, Faculty of the College of Engineering [1931-32]

folder 9

Committee on Engineering Curricula (President's Committee - B.M. Woods, member) [1931-32]

folder 10

Executive Committee, Dept. of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering - Correspondence [1931-32]

folder 11

Executive Committee, Dept. of M.E. & E.E., Minutes August 15, 1929- June 27, 1930

folder 12

Executive Committee, Dept. of M.E. & E.E., Minutes August 13, 1928 - May 19, 1929

folder 13

Committee on Graduate Study and Research [1929-32]

folder 14

House Committee, Engineering Building [1931-33]

folder 15

Committee on Reorganization of Engineering College [1930]

folder 16

D (General File) [1926-31]

folder 17

Dean - Mimeographic Material [1943-44]

folder 17a

Dean - Mimeographic Material [1945-50]

folder 18

E (General File) [1929-31]

folder 19

Electrical Engineering Lab Improvements (existing - 1931]

folder 20

F (General File) [1928-31]

folder 21

G (General File) [1928-31]

folder 22

General Electric Company [1926-32]

 

Gifts

folder 23

Gifts--March 1930 - March 1931

folder 23a

Gifts--January 1929 - July 1930

folder 24

The Allen Hydrautomat - Proposed installation and gift, not accepted [1923]

folder 25

H (General File) [1929-31]

folder 26

I (General File) [1929-32]

folder 27

J-K (General File) [1929-31]

box 5, folder 1

M (General File) [1929-31]

folder 2

N (General File) [1928-31]

folder 3

Naval Science & Tactics, (Dept. of) [1929-31]

folder 4

President of the University [1924-31]

folder 5

President's Report [1930-31]

folder 6

President's Report [1924-28]

folder 7

R (General File) [1929-31]

folder 8

Radio Station Licenses [1922-26]

folder 9

Radio Laboratory [1922-24]

folder 10

Recorder of the Faculties [1929-32]

folder 11

Russian Student Fund, Inc. [1926-29]

folder 12

Sigma Xi [1930-32]

folder 13

Society for the Promotion of Engineering Education [1930-31]

folder 14

Summer Session [1927-31]

folder 15

Superintendent, Grounds and Buildings [1922-31]

folder 16

S (General File) [1929-31]

folder 17

T (General File) [1929-32]

folder 18

U.S. Government [1929-31]

folder 19

W (General File) [1929-31]

folder 20

Westinghouse Electric & Manufacturing Co. [1924-31]

 

Miscenally, 1943-50

box 5, folder 21

Candidates - Degrees [1944-45]

folder 22

Dean - College of Engineering [1943-47]

folder 23

Los Angeles - College of Engineering [1946-50]

folder 24

Post-War Plans [1944-45]

 

Committees, 1926-49

box 6, folder 1

Buildings [1943-44]

folder 2

Committee on Courses [1942-45]

folder 3

C.E. - Curricula [1945]

folder 4

Disaster [1934-36]

folder 5

Executive Committee, Folder #1 [1929-37]

folder 6

Executive Committee, Folder #2 [1938-46]

folder 7

General [1932-47]

folder 8

Grade Points [1925-35]

folder 9

Library [1944-46]

folder 10

Policy and Budget [1944-47]

folder 11

Schedule - Engineering [1944]

folder 12

Study Lists [1945-46]

folder 13

Deferment Claims - Faculty [1940-45]

folder 14

Deferment Claims - Students [1941-44]

folder 15

Degrees - B.A.S [1944]

folder 16

Department of Engineering - Chairman [1945-49]

folder 17

Department of Engineering - Minutes [1945-49]

folder 18

Engineering College Research Association [1942-43]

folder 19

Engineering Series - Publications in Engineering [1931-43]

folder 20

Fabrication Reports [1926-32]

folder 21

Faculty - Engineering [1939-44]

folder 22

Graduate Announcements - Scholarships and Fellowships, Vol. 1 [1930-37]

folder 23

Graduate Announcements..., Vol. 2 [1938-46]

folder 24

Honors - Graduation [1933-44]

folder 25

Honors - Students [1934-43]

folder 26

Junior College - ME 102A-102B - Credits - Matriculation Tests [1938-42]

folder 27

New Equipment - Dean's Fund [1944-45]

folder 28

New York State University Registration [1932-38]

folder 29

Newsletter - UCLA [1945-49]

folder 30

Newsletters - College of Engineering [1943-48]

folder 31

Newsletters - Department of Engineering [1943-48]

folder 32

Statistics - Engineering Enrollment - Aug. & Jan. [1930-43]

folder 33

Statistics - General [1930-46]

 

Army Specialized Training Program, 1943-1944

box 7, folder 1

CE Courses - Evaluations [1943-46]

folder 2

Committee Work, March 1943

folder 3

Correspondence, Notes, etc. Feb. 1943 to [May 1944]

folder 4

Correspondence, Vol. 2 [Feb. 1943 to Sept. 1943]

folder 5

Curricula Studies, Copies of Programs, etc., 1943

folder 6

Curricula in CE, EE, ME, and Chem Eng - Feb. 2, 1943

folder 7

Engineering Drawing Fall 1943

folder 8

Kruger's Correspondence [1943-44]

folder 9

Literature, Books, etc. [1943]

 

Navy V-12 College Training Program, 1943-1945

box 7, folder 10

General [1943]

folder 11

Contract Term I, 1943-44

folder 12

Correspondence; 1943

folder 13

Correspondence, Feb. 1943 - [Sept. 1945]

folder 14

[Course Descriptions, 1943-44]

folder 15

Curricula Studies, 1943 - [1946]

folder 16

Dean - to Coordinators AST & Navy V-12 [1943-44]

folder 17

Organization of Navy Course 1944-45

folder 18

O'Brien Letters, 1944

folder 19

Qualifications - First Group AST Basic [1943]

folder 20

Reports on Costs - Navy V-12 [Oct. 1943 - Mar. 1944]

folder 21

Navy V-12 Reports [1943-44]

folder 22

Navy Schedules [1940-43]

folder 23

Textbooks & Equipment [1943-45]

folder 24

Voorhies' Coorespondence - Prof. Uren [1943-44]

folder 25

Miscellaneous Correspondence and Notes [1943-44]

 

Civil Engineering annual and biennial reports, 1906-1944

box 8, folder 1

1906-30

folder 2

1930-36

folder 3

1936-42

folder 4

1942-44

folder 5

“Automobile Associations” [1947]

folder 6

Civil Engineering - Course Statements [1945]

folder 7

Civil Engineering - Forms [1945]

folder 8

Extension Division 1950 Questionnaire

folder 9

Extension Division Questionnaire - Spring 1951

folder 10

Engineering Extension - 1945-53

 

Institute of Engineering Research, 1949-1953

box 8, folder 11

General [1949-53]

folder 12

“Project Status Report - 1951-52

folder 13

“Project Status Report - 1952-53

folder 14

Research Summary [1951-52]

folder 15

Statistical Report, 1949

 

Institute of Traffic and Transportation Engineering, 1947-48

box 8, folder 16

General #1 [1947-48]

folder 17

General #2 [1947-48]

folder 18

Miscellaneous Applications [1947-48]

folder 19

Allen, Robert A. [1947]

folder 20

Baldock, Robert H. [1947]

folder 21

Barton, George W. [1948]

folder 22

Berry, Donald Stilwell [1947]

folder 23

Buckley, J. Paul [1947-48]

folder 24

Cedergren, H.R. [1947]

folder 25

Cox, William J. [1947]

folder 26

Crum, Roy [1947]

folder 27

Dawson, Raymond [1947]

folder 28

Ensz, Herbert [1948]

folder 29

Evans, Henry K. [1948]

folder 30

Fairbanks, H.S. [1948]

folder 31

Gallagher, Richard [1947-48]

folder 32

Hewes, Dr. L.I. [1947]

folder 33

Jorgensen, Roy E. [1947-48]

folder 34

Kennedy, G. Donald [1947-48]

folder 35

Matson, Theodore M. [1947]

folder 36

Mattson, Joe O. [1947]

folder 37

Mickle, Grant O. [1947-48]

folder 38

MacDonald, Thomas H. [1947]

folder 39

Purcell, C.H. [1947]

folder 40

Sadler, Walter, C. [1947]

folder 41

Sharmon, William L. [1947]

folder 42

Thompson, Trueman [1947]

folder 43

Tuttle, L.S. [1947]

folder 44

Upham, Charles M. [1947]

folder 45

Underhill, James L. [1948]

 

Works Progress Administration files, 1934-1940

box 9, folder 1

Sera-Fera Requests 1934-35

folder 2

Work Report 1937

folder 3

W.P.A. - Oct. 1935 to July 1936

folder 4

W.P.A. - Jan. 1, 1936 to Dec. 31, 1936

folder 5

W.P.A. - Jan. 1937 to June 1938

folder 6

W.P.A. Project 8850 - June 6, 1938 to June 4, 1939

folder 7

W.P.A. - October 1940 to December 1941

folder 8

[Proposals for W.P.A. Project - 1940]

 

Department of Mechanical Engineering, 1946-1953

box 10, folder 1

“O” - Misc. [1946-53]

folder 2

Organization of Mechanical Engineering [1951]

folder 3a

Orientation (Students) [1952-53]

folder 3b

“Orientation Handbook for Faculty Members” [1953]

folder 3c

“P” - Misc. [1947-53]

folder 4

Physics - “Modern Physics for Scientists and Engineers” Advisory Committee (Fayram, Folsom, Kelly, Nierenberg) [1953]

folder 5

Potter's Reports - #1 U.C. and Its Relation to Engineering Education in California

 

Potter's Reports - #2 Internal Operation of Colleges of Engineering, U.C. [1952]

folder 6

“Q” - Misc. [1949]

folder 7

“R” - Misc. [1951-53]

folder 8

Rating Sheets - Faculty [1950-53]

folder 9

Research Grant [1949-50]

folder 10

Rheology, Society of [1950-51]

folder 11

“S” - Misc. [1951-53]

folder 12

Schoold of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering [1952-53]

folder 13

Service to Industry [1943-48]

folder 14

Society of Automotive Engineers [1946]

folder 15

Societies - Specific and General Student [1950-52]

folder 16

Standard Oil Grant... 1953-54

folder 17

Standard Oil Grant... 1952-53

folder 18

Strayer Report [1952]

folder 19

Strike Reports - Etc. [1950]

folder 20

Student Matters - Misc. [1947-53]

folder 21

Survey of Space [1950-51]

folder 22

“T” - Misc. [1951-53]

folder 23

“U” - Misc. [1947-53]

folder 24

Undergraduate Program of Study [1952]

folder 25

University Affairs Committee [1951-53]

folder 26

“V” - Misc. [1946-51]

folder 27

“W” - Misc. [1946-53]

folder 28

Wind Tunnel Facilities, Committee on (Division Committee) [1949-52]

folder 29

Wind Tunnel - General [1950-53]

folder 30

Wind Tunnel Report File [1950]

folder 31

“Y” - Misc. [1951-52]

folder 32

“Z” - Misc. [1949-52]

 

Summer School of Surveying, 1902-1914

 

Commissary Account Books

box 11, folder 1

1902

folder 2

1905

folder 3

1905

folder 4

1905

folder 5

1907

folder 6

1907

folder 7

1910

folder 8

1911

folder 9

1914

folder 10

no date

folder 11

no date

 

Day Books

box 11, folder 12

1903

folder 13

1908

folder 14

1908