Correspondence, transcripts of radio broadcasts, study papers, notes, and card indexes, relating to radio broadcasts from
east and southeast Asia
The Stanford Listening Post was established in the Archives Division of the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution, and Peace
in 1940 for the purpose of recording and studying radio broadcasts from the Far East. The Rockefeller Foundation granted $8,250
to cover the costs of equipment, supplies, and salaries for receiving, recording, and transcribing trans-Pacific broadcasts.
Recording began in mid-September 1940 and continued to the end of May 1941 when the Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
established listening posts throughout the country for round-the-clock monitoring of foreign broadcasts. The Stanford post
recorded foreign broadcasts for the FCC from 1941 to 1943 and transmitted American broadcasts of the United States Office
of War Information (OWI) to the Far East from 1942 to 1945.
32 manuscript boxes, 1 envelope.
13.4 linear feet)
For copyright status, please contact
the Hoover Institution Archives.
Collection open for research.