Scope and Content
Call Number: SC0029A
Stanford University. Department of History.
Title: Stanford University, Department of History, records
18 Linear feet
Language(s): The materials are in English.
Department of Special Collections and University Archives
557 Escondido Mall
Stanford, CA 94305-6064
Phone: (650) 725-1022
Information about Access
Boxes 16 through 21 are restricted; consult the University Archivist for access.
Ownership & Copyright
Property rights reside with the repository. Literary rights reside with the creators of the documents or their heirs. To obtain
permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the Public Services Librarian of the Dept. of Special Collections and University
[Identification of item], Stanford University, Dept. of History, Records (SC0029A). Dept. of Special Collections and University
Archives, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, Calif.
Scope and Content
The files of the History Department are diverse and fairly complete and include correspondence, minutes, memoranda, course
materials, enrollment records, and reports. A few of the subjects covered by the records are: establishment of the Political
Science Department; report on the four-quarter system; History Club minutes; course offerings including those taught in both
World Wars; the Army Specialized Training Program of 1941-1945; Independent Study; Problems of Citizenship; Western Civilization;
international relations committees; and university-wide committees on faculty self-discipline and general studies. There is
also a manuscript History of the History Department.
Boxes 1 through 9 were transferred to the Archives in 1966; a folder by folder survey of the papers was made but only names
of important personalities were recorded. Boxes 10 through 21 were transferred to the Archives in August 1975. Boxes 10-15
contain the files of Prof. Gordon Craig; in boxes 16-21 the name of the department chairman or faculty member who created
the file, where it can be determined, has been included in brackets after the folder title. Boxes 16 through 21 are restricted;
please consult the University Archivist for access. Two letters dated 1903 from Max Farrand (then Dept. head) to Henry Cannon,
describing the methods of running classes and department affairs, were given to the Archives in November 1970 by Mrs. Leland
This collection complements the Edgar E. Robinson Papers which were received in 1964. For a complete history of the History
Department of Leland Stanford Junior University consultation of the Robinson Papers is essential.