Jump to Content

Collection Guide
Collection Title:
Collection Number:
Get Items:
George A. Applegarth Collection, ca. 1917-1919
1956-3  
View entire collection guide What's This?
PDF (67.15 Kb) HTML
Search this collection
Collection Details
 
Table of contents What's This?
  • Descriptive Summary
  • Administrative Information
  • Biographical Note
  • Scope and Contents Note
  • Indexing Terms
  • Related Collections

  • Descriptive Summary

    Title: George A. Applegarth Collection,
    Date (inclusive): ca. 1917-1919
    Collection number: 1956-3
    Creator: Applegarth, George A., 1876-1972
    Extent: 2 boxes, 4 card file boxes, 4 oversize folders, 1 tube
    Repository: Environmental Design Archives.
    University of California, Berkeley.
    Berkeley, California.
    Abstract: The collection documents the architectural work of George A. Applegarth, with a focus on his work in Clyde, California.
    Language: English.

    Administrative Information

    Access

    Collection is open for research.

    Publication Rights

    All requests for permission to publish, reproduce, or quote from materials in the collection should be discussed with the Curator.

    Preferred Citation

    [Identification of item], George A. Applegarth Collection, (1956-3), Environmental Design Archives. University of California, Berkeley. Berkeley, California.

    Acquisition Information

    The collection was donated in 1956.

    Biographical Note

    George A. Applegarth, (1876-1972)
    George A. Applegarth was born October 4, 1876 in Oakland, California. He began his professional career as a draughtsman for his uncle George Sanders, of the architectural firm Wright & Sanders in San Francisco. After studying at the University of California, Berkeley under Bernard Maybeck, and at his encouragement, Applegarth attended the Ecole des Beaux Arts, where he was a member of La Loux atelier, and received his diploma in 1906.
    Upon his return to the United States, he formed a partnership with Kenneth MacDonald in an architectural firm, which lasted for six years, after which time Applegarth practiced on his own. Applegarth's career comprised over forty projects, including the California Palace of the Legion of Honor, the Clift Hotel, residential and commercial projects for the Spreckles family, and the town of Clyde, California. He was a fellow of the American Institute of Architects. He died in 1972.
    Applegarth's most recognizable project is the California Palace of the Legion of Honor, which was financed by Adolph and Alma de Brettville Spreckles and presented to the city of San Francisco in 1924. He also designed several other commercial and residential projects for the Spreckles family. Clyde, California was a company town built for the employees of the Pacific Coast Shipbuilding Company and funded through a U.S. government loan. Applegarth prepared the plans for the town for funding purposes and was the architect of the project. During the Clyde project he worked with Bernard Maybeck, who was hired as the supervising architect to oversee the government's interests. As the plans for the project were generally completed prior to the hiring of Maybeck, the project layout is more the work of Applegarth, with the influence of Maybeck coming in later designs and improvements.
    Sources:

    Applegarth, Katherine. "Reflections on my Grandfather." term paper, University of California, Santa Barbara, n.d.
    Cardwell, Kenneth H. "Bernard Maybeck: Artisan, Architect, Artist." Santa Barbara, CA: Peregrine Smith, Inc., 1977.

    Scope and Contents Note

    The George A. Applegarth papers focus on the construction of Clyde, California, a residential and commercial development for the Pacific Coast Shipbuilding Company. The collection is important for documenting both the planning and growth of company towns, and the construction of low cost housing. The collection contains no personal papers, and very few papers on other projects.
    Series I. Town of Clyde is the largest series in the collection. It includes the files of the project, specifications, photographs, and drawings. The files include correspondence between Applegarth, Maybeck, and the Clyde Company, which was the subsidiary of the Pacific Coast Shipbuilding Company responsible for the construction of the town. The series documents the planning of the town and the construction of the hotel and residences. The drawings include blueprints for commercial buildings which were not constructed.
    Series II. Additional Donations contains a donation of photographs of the Clyde Hotel taken after the building was no longer in use, drawings of an Applegarth commercial project located at Two Pine Street, San Francisco, and one blueprint of the California Palace of the Legion of Honor.

    Indexing Terms

    The following terms have been used to index the description of this collection in the library's online public access catalog.
    Architects--California.
    Architecture--California.
    Company towns.
    Clyde (Calif.)
    California Palace of the Legion of Honor.
    Maybeck, Bernard R., 1862-1957.

    Related Collections

    Bernard Maybeck Collection 
    Identifier/Call Number: 1956-1
    Contributing Institution: Environmental Design Archives, University of California, Berkeley
    Title: George A. Applegarth papers
    Identifier/Call Number: BANC MSS 73/43
    Contributing Institution: The Bancroft Library
    UC Berkeley
    Berkeley, CA
    Title: George A. Applegarth photographs
    Identifier/Call Number: BANC PIC 1973.032--PIC
    Contributing Institution: The Bancroft Library
    UC Berkeley
    Berkeley, CA
    Title: Views of San Francisco residences and office buildings designed by George Adrian Applegarth
    Identifier/Call Number: BANC PIC 1977.062--fALB
    Contributing Institution: The Bancroft Library
    UC Berkeley
    Berkeley, CA