Title: Dept. of Public Works. Division of Highways. District X Records
California. Division of Highways
California State Archives
For permission to reproduce or publish, please contact the California State Archives. Permission for reproduction or publication
is given on behalf of the California State Archives as the owner of the physical items. The researcher assumes all responsibility
for possible infringement which may arise from reproduction or publication of materials from the California State Archives
[Identification of item], Dept. of Public Works. Division of Highways. District X Records, F3762, California State Archives.
The California Highway Commission on January 1, 1924, created District X from the southern half of District III. At the time
of formation District X included 742 miles of road, and comprised all of Amador, Alpine, Calaveras, Tuolumne, Stanislaus,
San Joaquin and Solano Counties. The southern portions of Sacramento and Yolo Counties were also included in District X.
District X maintained a division office in Sacramento, headed by a District Engineer who reported directly to the State Highway
Engineer. Under the District Engineer were the Assistant Division Engineer, the Office Engineer, the Construction Engineer,
Equipment Engineer and numerous Resident Engineers located throughout the district.
District X underwent major boundary changes in 1933. District III acquired the southern portion of Yolo County and all of
Sacramento County above Walnut Grove. District X received Mariposa and Merced Counties from District VI. (See District III
for records of Sacramento and Yolo Counties after 1933, and District VI for Mariposa and Merced Counties prior to 1933). At
this time District X's division office was transferred from Sacramento to Stockton.