Record Series 33 contains accounts, notes, history and chronology of the development of geography education in the University
of California system and history of the geography Department at UCLA.
Classes in Geography were offered when the Los Angeles State Normal School opened its doors in 1882. In 1985, the Geography
Department was formally established as an academic unit. Prior to 1919, when the Los Angeles State Normal School was incorporated
into the University of the California system, the Geography Department was primarily concerned with the training of secondary
school teachers. After 1920 more emphasis was placed on training of researcher and preparing students for graduate studies.
Graduate courses leading to the Masters of Art degree were to the department curriculum in 1934-1935; and the Doctoral program
was added in 1948-1949.
0.4 linear ft.
Copyright of portions of this collection is held by The Regents of the University of California. The UCLA University Archives
can grant permission to publish for materials to which it holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish or quote
must be submitted in writing to the UCLA University Archivist.
COLLECTION STORED OFF-SITE AT SRLF: Open for research. Advance notice required for access. Contact the UCLA Library Special
Collections Reference Desk for paging information.